Medicinal Uses for Vicks VapoRub Many Don’t Know
Vicks Vaporub is a product that people use in many different ways. Even to stop squeaky hinges!
Vicks VapoRub is an ointment that’s used as a remedy for some symptoms of the cold and flu, such as cough and nasal congestion. To apply it, people simply massage it in gently, generally on the chest. Other people apply it on other body parts, such as the soles of their feet or their back.
Its formula is made of oily substances and elements with painkiller effects that contribute to relief, such as menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor.
However, people don’t only use it to relieve the aforementioned symptoms, but also for other things, as you’ll see below.
It’s important to clarify that, despite what’s popularly believed, the application of this ointment on the skin doesn’t help treat infections or prevent them. Its function is to relieve certain symptoms, not to act as a “protective shield” against pathogens.
1. To relieve muscle pain
Applying this ointment topically may help relieve muscle pain since its compounds (menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus) have a vasodilator effect.
How to use it
- Spread a little Vicks VapoRub on the sore areas and massage it in gently.
- Then, apply a hot pad and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Repeat several times a day if you consider it necessary.
*Avoid this type of ointment if you suffer from atopic dermatitis or any other skin condition.
2. For nail infections?
According to popular belief, this product could be used if you have athlete’s foot and other related foot discomforts, such as dry and cracked heels.
It’s considered to be effective because it contains menthol. However, doctors agree that it isn’t the most recommended option to treat an infection in the toenails or the skin itself, since its compounds can cause adverse reactions.
*Be careful with the amount of product you apply, as well as the frequency. Therefore, it isn’t advisable to use this product without your doctor’s authorization.
3. To relieve bruising
It’s also considered that Vicks VapoRub could help relieve inflammation and bruising, since it contains:
- Menthol, which has a painkilling effect.
- Camphor, which has a slightly analgesic and sedative effect locally.
How to use it
- Take some Vicks VapoRub in your hand.
- Gently apply to the affected area and start massaging it gently, with circular movements.
- After you finish massaging, apply ice on the area for a few minutes for more relief.
- Use up to twice a day.
4. To relieve mild headaches
The aroma of Vicks VapoRub may relieve tension headaches and mild headaches.
How to use it
- Spread some ointment on your temples and forehead and try to relax for a few minutes.
- Repeat the application if you consider it necessary.
- Rinse your face with neutral soap and water once you finish your relaxation ritual.
This article may interest you: Aromatherapy: What Does It Consist of?
Vicks VapoRub isn’t a magical product
Vicks Vaporub has other alternative uses that, despite being popular, aren’t safe. Therefore, it’s important to avoid resorting to these types of products and ask your doctor what’s the most appropriate treatment for any problem you may have.
Finally, it’s convenient to remember that you shouldn’t use this type of ointment in children under two years of age, as it’s risky for their health.
If you have a burn, inflammation, infection, or any other skin problem, it’s best to go to a dermatologist and follow their instructions.