How to Make a Table Runner in a Few Simple Steps
Making a table runner can be just what you need to give a new look to your dining room table, coffee table, or any other table you have in your home. Traditionally, they’re used to dress up the dining table. However, because they’re so versatile, you can use them to decorate any surface.
So, what do you say to making your own beautiful and original table runner? We assure you that it’s much easier than you think. You’ll need only a few materials, a bit of skill, and imagination. Are you ready?
How to make an easy table runner
To make a table runner, we recommend using a sewing machine. This way, you’ll ensure a perfect finish. If you don’t know how to use one, you can ask a friend to help you. Or, take your table runner ready with the pins to a seamstress who can do the job.
Materials needed for a 160 x 80cm (62 x 31 inch) table
- Fabric 80 x 18 inches
- Sewing machine
You may be interested in: Charming Ideas to Use Old Pieces of Fabric
Step by step
- First, it’s important to overlock the edges of the fabric to prevent them from fraying. To do this, use the sewing machine with an over-lock or a zigzag foot.
- Once you have the over-locking ready, it’s time to prepare the corners. Mark the hem of approximately 1/2 inch on the fabric.
- Then, fold the corner inwards, forming a triangle. It’s important that you make sure you’ve achieved a right angle.
- Hold the triangle with one finger and then fold the fabric through the hem you’ve marked in point 2. Make sure both hems are very straight and secure them with pins.
- Make the four corners and place pins around the entire table run.
- Machine sew with a normal foot and you’re done!
Can I make my runner reversible?
Of course you can! When it comes to decorating, you can do absolutely everything you can imagine. Making a reversible table runner is a bit more complex, but not impossible.
- 2 different fabrics for the runner, of the same size
- 1 thermo adhesive inner layer, same size as the runner
- Bias tape (optional)
- Sewing machine
How to do it?
- Place the inner lining on the table with the shiny side up.
- Place one of the printed fabrics on the inner lining, with the print facing you, and secure with pins.
- Iron very carefully, especially if you use pins with a plastic head. It’s very important not to use steam because you will ruin the glue.
- Place the bias tape flush with the fabric and baste. If you don’t want to put a bias tape, don’t worry. When you sew both fabrics and turn them over, your path will be perfect.
- Place the second fabric over the first fabric. The idea is to have both prints on top of each other, face to face. Secure with pins.
- Sew the outline, leaving one end open to turn.
- Iron the table runner.
- Sew the open end by hand and that’s it!
Don’t miss: Ideas for a Cozy and Welcoming Home
Ideas for making a table runner
- You can prepare a table runner for the length of your table or for the width. In the case of the latter, we recommend making two.
- Don’t hesitate to combine fabrics: A table runner with another fabric in the center can be very beautiful.
- The ends of the table runner can be straight or pointed, it’s your choice!
- You can incorporate details to your liking in the tips or peaks of the table runner: Buttons, sequins, gems, etc.
- Paint the fabric by hand if you’re good at it, it will look beautiful!
- If embroidery is your thing, what are you waiting for to make an embroidered decoration?
- Crochet lovers can make this project super original and delicate.
- Keep in mind when calculating the size of your table runner that the tips must fall at least 4 inches on each side.
What do you think of our ideas? We’re sure that the above tips will inspire you to make your own personalized table runner!It might interest you...