Liver inflammation - natural remedies
The liver is an organ of vital importance. Consequently, we must take immediate measures to restore its health when there’s liver inflammation. So, this condition is synonymous with serious problems, according to this literature by the Mayo Clinic.
The location of our liver is in the upper right part of the abdomen and, it’s usually dark red, similar to the color of red wine.
Moreover, this organ is responsible for:
- regulating blood chemicals
- producing bile
- processing the blood that comes out of the stomach and intestines
- metabolizing medications to prevent intoxication
- producing proteins for blood plasma
- storing iron
- regulating blood clotting
- depurating bilirubin
- regulating fats
What’s liver inflammation?
An inflamed liver, or hepatomegaly, means this organ has increased to a size that’s considerably larger than usual, as stated by this study by the Hospital Central de la Cruz Roja in Madrid. Furthermore, it can happen due to various reasons:
- Hepatitis. This is a viral infection and there are two types, A and B.
- Alcoholic hepatitis. Drinking alcohol in large quantities damages the liver’s cells as stated in this research carried out by the Center Hospitalier de Pau in France.
- Ingesting chemicals or toxins
- Bacterial infections
- A diet high in fats. A poor diet promotes the growth of the liver.
You must follow certain recommendations and treatments depending on the cause:
- Firstly, you must take certain medications if there’s liver inflammation due to viral or bacterial infections.
- In addition, you must stop drinking alcohol if your condition is due to its excessive intake.
Natural remedies to treat liver inflammation
Tea for the treatment of hepatitis made with milk thistle
This is an infusion made with ingredients that promote liver disinflation and proper body functioningaccording to this study by Universidad de Concepción
- 1 tbsp of milk thistle
- 40 drops of myrtle tincture (Luma apiculata)
- 1 c. of water
- In short, mix the ingredients and divide the solution into various servings. This is because you’re to drink 2.2 ounces, four times a day.
Dandelion for an inflamed liver
This plant is specifically recommended for treating this problem because it’s a natural cleanser that helps lower blood cholesterol. And, it also lowers the levels of fat in the liver, according to this research conducted by the Pohang Center for Evaluation of Biomaterials in Korea.
We recommend: Dandelion and why it is good for your liver
The antioxidants in green tea help with the regeneration of the liver’s cells and the functioning of the liver according to this study carried out by the University of Milan in Italy. However, this same research found that too much of it can, in fact, damage the liver.
So, consult your doctor before you start this treatment to avoid major problems.
The juice of ground, strained papaya seeds prevents liver infections, according to this study conducted by the University of Lagos in Nigeria.
Furthermore, researchers also recommend consuming the juice of this fruit with a few drops of lemon. In addition, papaya significantly improves digestion.
Try reading: 7 Benefits of Eating Papaya Seeds
Artichokes increase the secretion of bile and thus aid the treatment of liver inflammation according to this study published in the Phytomedicine medical journal. You can bake, boil, or even juice artichokes in order to consume them.
Lemons for an inflamed liver
Lemons are great for digestion and they also provide antioxidants, according to this research carried out by the Universidad Autónoma de Mexico. You can take advantage of their properties for liver inflammation by consuming them daily.
- 1 c. of water
- The juice of one lemon
- Add the lemon juice to a glass of room temperature water and drink it on an empty stomach.
Note: You can add drops of lemon to any tea you drink as it’s always good for you.
Grapefruit for liver inflammation
Grapefruit contains antioxidants that can aid liver cleansing according to this study conducted by Viborg County Hospital. Researchers believe it could improve cirrhosis.
Licorice for liver inflammation
This is an anti-inflammatory, according to information extracted from the Association of Parents of People with Autism of Badajoz and endorsed by the Government of Extremadura. Also, licorice has antiviral properties, as per this study by the University of Beijing. So, they believe it a good addition to the treatment of liver inflammation due to viral hepatitis.
However, there’s no scientific evidence to support this last statement.
Generally, you can drink it as an infusion.
- 2 c. of water
- 2 tbsp of licorice
- 1 handful of star anise
- 1 tbsp of boldo
- Honey (optional)
- Firstly, boil the water and add the licorice and the star anise.
- Then, let it steep for five minutes.
- Subsequently, lower the flame and add the boldo. Then, cover and let sit for five minutes.
- Finally, you may sweeten it with honey. Furthermore, you can drink it after meals.
At last, ginger helps the liver get rid of fats and toxins and researchers highly recommend it’s consumption in fatty liver cases, according to this study conducted by the University of Tehran in Iran.
Finally, keep in mind that natural remedies are an excellent way to tone down your symptoms when you’re ill. However, they’re no substitute for medical treatment and your doctor must endorse them.