Lightening the Skin around the Neck
Darkening of the skin around the neck region is a relatively common problem that even has a scientific name: acanthosis nigricans. It’s not the sort of thing that presents any real danger to the person suffering from it, but it can worry some people and even cause a loss of self-esteem in those affected. It’s important to understand that this is not an infection or a contagious disease.
Darker skin around the neck can be caused by a number of things, including excessive sun exposure, hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, the use of birth control pills, diabetes, and more. It’s usually accompanied by darkening of the skin in other parts of the body.
In today’s article, we’ll list some of the most effective home remedies for treating darker skin around the neck region.
Lemon is a simple ingredient that’s readily available and has a variety of uses in the home. Thanks to its lightening properties, it’s the perfect choice for treating this condition. Lemon helps brighten skin naturally. Just remember to avoid exposure to the sun after using this treatment. All you need is some lemon juice and a cotton ball.
What to do:
- Extract the juice of one lemon
- Dip a cotton ball or pad in the juice
- Apply the juice directly to the skin around the neck
- If you have sensitive skin, be sure to add a little water to the lemon juice to avoid redness and irritation
- Leave the lemon juice on your skin for 10 to 20 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and apply a light moisturizer
Oatmeal is not only good for your overall health: it can also help lighten the skin and acts as a natural exfoliant to remove dead skin cells.
- Rolled oats
- Tomato paste
- A small mixing bowl
- Add the rolled oats and tomato paste to the mixing bowl and blend them until you form a stiff paste
- Apply this paste directly to the skin around your neck and massage it for a few minutes
- Let the paste sit for 15 to 30 minutes
- In addition to resulting in lighter skin around the neck, this treatment will have an exfoliating effect and will eliminate dead skin cells
- Rinse with cold water
- Finally, apply your regular moisturizer and massage the skin gently
Yogurt is a great option for cleansing and brightening the skin, and when combined with lemon juice you’ll receive the maximum benefits. To use this treatment all you need is half a cup of yogurt and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
What to do?
- Mix the yogurt and lemon juice;
- Apply the mixture directly to the skin of your neck;
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes;
- Rinse the entire area with water;
- Repeat this treatment as often as necessary.
Fruits are often added to cosmetic products to help soften the skin, rejuvenate it, and improve texture. Certain fruits like avocados, bananas, oranges, apples, papayas, and more contain enzymes, minerals, and vitamins that help improve overall skin health and tone.
When you mix bananas with olive oil you get a mask that’s rich in antioxidants and will help give you smoother, healthier, and revitalized skin. To prepare this mask, all you need is one ripe banana and some olive oil.
- Mash the ripe banana in a bowl
- Add a little olive oil and mix to form a paste
- Apply this mask to the skin of the neck and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse the area with water and pat your skin dry
Daily use of this banana mask will help nourish your skin and lighten any dark areas.
Strawberry and papaya mask
Papayas contain an enzyme known as papain, which is excellent for the removal of dead skin cells. Strawberries, in the meantime, contain antioxidants that help repair damage to cells. The combination of these two ingredients gives you excellent vitamins and minerals that nourish your skin and brighten any dark areas. All you need for this treatment is one papaya and two strawberries.
- Mash the papaya into a smooth pulp
- Mash the strawberries and mix them with about two tablespoons of the papaya pulp
- Once they’re well mixed, apply these two fruits directly to your neck for about 10 to 15 minutes
The treatments we listed here are only a few of the best home remedies for brightening the skin around the neck. But remember, if this problem persists, it’s best to see a doctor to rule out any serious health problems.