How to Lighten Your Hair Color Naturally
To lighten your hair without risking damage, you can turn to natural products. These may take a little longer to work than the usual dyes.
In the beauty world, there will always be someone who wants to lighten their hair.
There are many reasons ranging from personal taste to fashion. Regardless of the reasons, it’s often best to avoid synthetic, chemical lightening methods.
Luckily, there may be some natural alternatives that will gradually lighten your hair.
When it comes to your health, the natural way is the least risky.
However, before choosing a natural lightening method, keep these things in mind:
- Firstly, the color or lightness won’t be as strong as it would be with hair dye.
- Secondly, you must be consistent with whatever treatment you decide on in order to see good results.
That being said, let’s take a look at these great options!
Vinegar is normally found in the kitchen, not in hair lightening treatments. But for the issue in question, it can help get you your desired results.
Keep in mind, though, that results will vary by hair type.
- 1 cup of vinegar (250 ml)
- 6 cups of water (1.5 l)
- Mix the vinegar and water together in a container.
- Then, moisten your hair or the parts that you want to lighten and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- As an alternative to regular vinegar, try apple cider vinegar. It has a nicer smell and may be more effective.
Check this out, too: This is What Coconut Oil Can Do for Your Hair
This vitamin is found in many different foods, especially citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and lemons, for example. Believe it or not, Vitamin C supplements might help lighten your hair color.
- 9 Vitamin C supplements
- 1 bottle of shampoo (whichever you normally use)
- Grind the Vitamin C supplements into a fairly fine powder.
- Add this powder to the shampoo and shake well before use to make sure it’s well-mixed.
- Just use your shampoo as usual, as if you were washing your hair like normal. Over time, you’ll begin to see results.
Rhubarb is a plant with special qualities that make it great for naturally lightening your hair.
That’s why it’s one of the most widely used natural methods to get good results. To find it in the store, look for its celery-like shape and distinctive red and green color.
- 5 tablespoons of rhubarb (50 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- Chop the rhubarb, then add to the water and boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the recommended time, strain and use the resulting “tea” on your hair.
- Moisten your hair with the treatment and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Then, rinse with water like usual.
We recommend: You’ve Been Washing Your Hair Wrong Your Whole Life
You might be able to use honey to lighten your hair color
Honey is one of the best natural alternatives out there for anyone who wants to avoid using harsh chemical dyes and the like.
Besides naturally lightening your hair thanks to its hydrogen peroxide, honey does so much more. For example, it moisturizes, hydrates, and strengthens your hair.
- 1/4 cup of honey (84 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 cup of vinegar (250 ml) (optional)
To make the honey thinner, you have to dilute it before you start with the treatment. Keep in mind that the thicker it is, the stickier it’ll be and so, harder to get off your hair.
- Once diluted, cover your hair with the honey. The idea is to smooth your hair towards your scalp for best results.
- Then, add the water or vinegar (one or the other), cover with a shower cap, and let sit overnight.
- Wash well the next morning.
It’s important to clarify, however, these natural methods do take much longer than chemical options. In addition, the color difference you’ll see will be much less extreme than you’d see with a dye or other similar hair treatment.