How to Wash a Bra Without Damaging It
To wash a bra without damaging it, it’s necessary to practice some basic care. Whether it’s incorporated in the washing machine or washed by hand, it’s crucial to follow a step-by-step guide so that your bra is completely clean and without deformities.
Because of its design and manufacturing materials, this is a delicate garment that should not be treated in the same way as jeans or a T-shirt. If the idea is to prolong its useful life, it will be necessary to dedicate a little more time to its cleaning. Take note of the following tips!
Two ways to wash a bra without damaging it
Nowadays, there’s a very wide variety of bras: there are full-cup, half-cup, push-up, or corset-type bras, for example. Depending on the style and the materials the garment made of, you will have to apply a washing technique. This way, you will make your underwear look good for longer.
1. Wash a bra in the washing machine
- Read the lingerie labels. This way, you will be aware of the suggestions for the care of the garment.
- Wash bras by color. This will help you prevent accidents with garments that may fade and stain.
- Fasten the bras before putting them in the washer. This helps prevent them from getting caught in each other or in other garments. If it’s a sports bra, you can skip this step.
- Place all underwear in a mesh bag. This item helps protect the garments by preventing direct friction with the rest of the clothing. If you don’t have one, some people use a pillowcase. Insert the bras by folding them in half and adjusting the cups, one on top of the other.
- Gather the lingerie with clothes of the same color. Keep in mind that these should be light, such as T-shirts, scarves, shirts, or pajamas.
- Use mild detergents, preferably those for delicate clothes. Very strong formulas can ruin fibers and lace.
- Soak the bra (optional). Do this step only if you consider it necessary and if the garment is light-colored, such as white or beige.
- Use the delicate wash cycle. For this reason, it’s necessary to do a load with clothes that are also delicate. The gentle cycle is another measure that helps to preserve delicate garments.
- Opt for cold water. Keep in mind that intimate garments are made of elastic fabric and have straps and elastic. All these materials lose elasticity when in contact with hot water.
- Shape the cups. Once the washing cycle is finished, unfold the bras and give them their original shape.
- Air dry them. Avoid using the dryer, as heat isn’t recommended for these garments. Just hang them on a clothesline with the help of clothespins.
We think you may be interested in reading this, too: 9 Exercises that Will Help Increase the Size of Your Breasts
2. Hand wash your bra
A publication by the American Cleaning Institute points out that hand washing is one of the best options for preserving delicate garments like bras. This takes a little more time and attention, but allows for gentler treatment of fabrics.
Let’s get to work!
- Fill the sink. Or you can use a bucket. Then add a little mild detergent and, using your hands, mix it with the water.
- Submerge the fasteners. Don’t forget to make the selection by color; this will prevent the risk of stains.
- Leave the garments to soak. 15 to 20 minutes will be fine. This time will allow the detergent to act to remove the remains of deodorant, sweat, or oils from creams, for example. If necessary, you can extend the time of rest.
- Shake the bras. To speed up the cleaning process and help remove dirt, the water should become dirty at this point. Avoid sudden movements that may compromise the structure of the garment.
- Rinse with plenty of water. Until the water comes out clean, squeeze with the help of both hands if the bra is a cup or push-up bra.
- Repeat the washing process (optional). This step applies to very heavy pieces or those that haven’t been washed in a long time.
- Allow the water to drain. Place the bras on a clean, dry towel and let the excess water drain off. You can also press them between two cloths.
- Air dry. After giving the bra cups their original shape, proceed to hang them on a string with the help of tongs. Some people use a rack to hang their underwear and stockings. Avoid hanging them by the straps, as this may cause them to stretch.
Like this article? You may also like to read: Raquel Tells the Story of Her Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Apply these tips and take care of your favorite bras
To preserve bras for longer, it’s advisable to leave them in storage for at least one day after washing them. Similarly, make sure to avoid chemical bleaches, as they tend to affect the elasticity of the garment.
You can even make your own DIY product with ingredients such as white vinegar and baking soda. For some types of stains, such as sweat and food debris, they work well. If necessary, you can supplement the washing with warm water. Avoid a very hot temperature, as this can damage the rubber and the straps.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Laundry detergent. (n.d.). American Cleaning Institute. Available in https://www.cleaninginstitute.org/cleaning-tips/clothes/laundry-detergents
- Hand Washing Clothes Dos and Don’ts. (n.d.). American Cleaning Institute. Available in https://www.cleaningiscaring.org/wpd/hand-washing-clothes-dos-and-donts/