How to Use Baking Soda to Clean Your Toilet
It’s not always necessary to use expensive chemical products to clean your toilet. While most people are used to those options, there are some 100% natural alternatives with the same function.
In fact, now that many people are interested in leading a more environmentally friendly lifestyle, those natural options are being used more frequently than ever before. They not only allow you to care for the environment, but also save you money.
Many of these natural solutions also make your life easier because they work in just minutes. Baking soda tablets eliminate germs and odors just by putting them in the toilet’s water reservoir.
Are you ready to make them yourself? Find out how.
Baking Soda Tablets to Clean Your Toilet
Baking soda tablets combine natural ingredients to deep clean your toilet without using chlorine or harmful chemicals. Their main function is to alter the environment that bacteria need to proliferate on the surface.
They also act to eliminate odors and leave a fresh scent that will last throughout the day. These tablets are easy to make and the ingredients can be found in practically any store.
- 1 cup of baking soda (200 g)
- ½ cup of citric acid powder (85 g)
- 45 drops of lemon essential oil
- 40 drops of mint essential oil
- 40 drops of lavender essential oil
You may also be interested: Natural Remedies with Baking Soda
- Pour the baking soda and citric acid into a deep bowl.
- Next, add the essential oils to a spray bottle and spray them onto the previous mixture.
- Spread the oils well over the baking soda mixture and try to obtain a thick paste.
- If needed, moisten it with a little water or, better yet, more oil.
- Then, transfer the mixture to molds and let them dry between 24 and 48 hours.
Note: Avoid moistening the product too much, since it reduces the effervescent effect of the baking soda.
How to use it
- After a day or two has passed, remove the tablets and place them in an airtight container to preserve the scent.
- Whenever you want to disinfect your toilet, add a tablet to the reservoir and flush.
- Use these at least three times a week.
The Advantages of Using Baking Soda Tablets to Clean Your Toilet
Baking soda tablets have certain advantages over similar products found on the market. First of all, baking soda has outstanding antibacterial and anti-fungal effects.
These tablets also contain organic acids that will eliminate solid waste residues with hardly any effort at all. Regular use will get rid of any lime stains and keep your drains clean, as well.
Thanks to the abrasive qualities of baking soda, other stains get removed that might be difficult to access with a brush. The citrus aroma is long lasting and will conceal any odors in the bathroom.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, this simple product also has other advantages:
- It’s cheaper than the cleaning tablets sold in the market.
- They are easy to make and don’t cause harmful reactions.
- The compounds degrade easily and won’t damage the environment.
- These tablets won’t expose you to any sources of toxins.
- They help you save time while cleaning the bathroom.
Read also: Tips for Cleaning the Bathroom
There are other natural methods that allow you to disinfect your bathroom in minutes without affecting your health. Some can even be used as a supplement to the tablets for deeper cleaning.
What are some of the recommended options?
- White vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Tea tree oil
- Coarse salt
These ingredients can be used on their own or combined with others. The recommended application is similar to that of any other product: apply it to the surface, allow it to act for a few minutes, and then rinse.
Have you tried making your own baking soda tablets to disinfect your toilets? Follow the steps here and see the results for yourself.It might interest you...