How to Bathe a Newborn Baby
If you are reading this, it is because you have asked yourself how to bathe a newborn baby. We all like to feel clean, but it is very different the way we bathe adults than the right way to clean a baby with a few days old. If you have any doubts about how to live this beautiful moment with your child, we will be your best guide.
– You have to bathe the baby today, honey.
-No you do.
-Actually, you do!
Most likely, it’s your turn to bathe your little one today. If you ask yourself: How should I bathe my newborn baby? Next, we will present some tips that you can not miss before cleaning your little one.
Bathe a newborn
Before being parents, we did not think about how to bathe a newborn baby, or all that it implies. When parents are new, they tend to believe that the baby should be bathed every day in a bathtub, using cologne and other products.
There are equivocal ways to bathe a baby that can bring consequences to your child. The use of an inappropriate shampoo or soap, as well as answering a call while washing the child, are just two mistakes that anyone can make when starting their baby’s bath.
Here are the recommendations you should follow when you wash a newborn with an umbilical cord and what you should do in case the baby no longer has an umbilical cord.
With umbilical cord
- Wash the baby two or three times a week with a sponge soaked in warm water. This way, you will avoid any burns on your newborn baby. It is not necessary to bathe every day if you change their diaper often and you refresh them with wet towels.
- Place a towel under the baby to prevent it from slipping or getting everything soaked with water. When finishing your bath, always have a dry towel to keep everything clean.
- Use baby shampoo and soap that does not cause irritation to the baby. To prevent any of these products from falling in their eyes, place your hand on their forehead to prevent it.
- Remember to have a soft towel to dry your little one. It is preferable that this has a hood. Thus, you will have their head at the ideal temperature. It is good that you have three towels for your baby, at least.
- Also, you can do this sponge bath in your tub or in their plastic bathtub for comfort. Remember that they must be at your height to avoid back injuries.
- If the umbilical cord has been wetted, nothing serious will happen. Simply dry it with a soft towel and continue your baby‘s bath. Said cord will fall after 3 weeks of birth of the child.
Remember to be delicate with your little one. Cover your baby with a towel and review each limb at the time of washing. If bath time is not bothersome for the baby, you can rinse it gently without having a towel.
Without the umbilical cord
Consider the following tips to bathe a newborn baby without the umbilical cord and do it in the best way:
- Place warm water in the wash or plastic tub. It must have a temperature between 23 and 25 ºC. Place a quantity of water that does not reach your baby’s chest.
- Start washing your little one from head to toe. In this order, you will prevent the child from having contact with secretions or bacteria.
- Twist gently to wash your back and buttocks. Remember that in this position, your child should be supported on an arm of yours to avoid any accident during the wash.
- Have fun with your baby while bathing. Smile and talk to him. You can both enjoy this moment, mainly, if you are going through exterogestation.
We recommend you read: Little Known Gestational Diabetes Symptoms
Other tips for bathing a newborn baby
Bath time is a magical moment between you and your baby. Surely, someone will knock on the door, call the cell phone or have to attend another situation. If so, put a towel on your child and carry it in it wherever you go. You should never leave it alone in the tub, since an accident can easily happen.
We hope you have learned to enjoy this great moment with your baby. Remember that once they are a year old, you will be able to bathe your little one every day. So, let the fun begin!It might interest you...