The water needs of each person vary depending on the body, although in general terms it is recognized that an adult needs about 2 liters (64 ounces) of water a day to stay hydrated, due to the fluid that is eliminated during metabolism. About 60% of our body is made up of water and for it to function properly you need to keep this proportion in balance.
It is true that water can help us lose weight and it is necessary to keep us hydrated and alive. However, some people make the mistake of consuming more water than their body needs to perform its functions, without knowing that in reality they may be putting their health at risk instead of doing something good for the body. That is why today we want to give you some interesting information so you can learn to consume the correct amount of water according to your weight.
Drink water according to your weight
Although very few people take it into account, in reality the body weight of each person has much to do with the amount of water to be consumed daily. For example, a thin person does not need as much water as a person who is heavy. However, because everyone has a different body weight, there is a formula available that can be quite useful.
To find out the exact amount of water you should consume according to your body weight, you need to take the value of your body weight in pounds and divide it in two. The result of this mathematical operation is equal to the number of ounces of water your body needs daily.
For example: take a person weighing 116 pounds (52 kg) and divide the weight into 2 parts; as a result you have 58 ounces (26 kg), that in other quantities is about 5 cups a day.
Formula to remember: (Body weight in pounds) / (2) = Amount of daily water in ounces.
- If you participate in any kind of sports or vigorous exercise, it is recommended that you consume an additional liter (32 ounces) of water per hour of exercise.
- If your diet does not include plenty of fruits and vegetables, it is advisable to consume at least 2 liters (64 ounces) of water a day.
- Sufficient hydration is essential if we suffer from a certain illness or low defenses. In this case it is also advisable to drink more water than normal.
Recommendations to drink the needed amount of water each day
After learning the simple formula to determine how much water we need per day, the idea is to start consuming this amount of water in order to stay hydrated and to lose weight. Since many people forget to drink enough water or just find it difficult to do so, below we will give additional tips to help you meet the daily goal.
- A good idea is to drink a glass of water before each meal, because in this way it will be harder to forget this good habit and it will also contribute to better metabolism of the food.
- Another option you can adopt into your routine is to drink a glass of water in the morning on an empty stomach and another just before bed. However, it is advisable that you supplement with more water during the day to achieve the recommended amount of water.
- If your objection is that water does not taste like anything, a good way to take advantage of its benefits it is to prepare naturally flavored water, but with no added sugar. You can make them with fruit, herbs or tea, among other things.
- If you easily forget that you must drink a certain amount of water during the day, make a kind of schedule with boxes for each day and mark the boxes every time you drink a glass of water.
How to know if you have drunk enough water?
The best way to know if we are dehydrated or properly hydrated is through the urine. For this it is important to consider how often we go to the bathroom and the color it has. For example, if your urine is light yellow, it indicates that you are properly hydrated. Meanwhile, a dark yellow urine and a strong smell can tell us we need to drink more water.
If you notice dry skin and lips, you feel fatigued and fail to focus during daily activities; it is also advisable to increase your water consumption, as these are clear signs of dehydration.