Home Remedies to Fight Dandruff and Seborrhea
Both dandruff and seborrhea are two very common problems of the scalp, which can occur in any person at any age. This makes for a problem that can cause great discomfort and inconvenience to the people who suffer from it. When there is the presence of dandruff flakes, you may have a dry scalp, which is why these small loose particles tend to fall onto the shoulders and if we wear dark clothing it looks terrible; also people who suffer from it feel quite uncomfortable and self-conscious about wearing their hair down. In the case of seborrhea the problem is even more serious because the scalp forms scabs which flake off, causing redness, itching and hair loss, and in some cases, causing some type of infection.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff can be caused by several factors, below are some of them:
- the presence of a fungus
- poor nutrition
- excessive stress
- the use of treatments and chemicals (such as hair dyes, for example).
In this article we will recommend some effective home remedies to fight dandruff and seborrhea.
Reduce the symptoms of seborrhea with pure honey
A very effective home remedy is based on pure honey from bees, since scientific studies have proven that honey has a healing power on this scalp problem. The group of persons, who had this problem and were subjected to a treatment with honey, achieved overall improvement of their condition in just a little time.
To make this home remedy simply make a mixture of 90% pure honey with 10% warm water. Apply to the entire scalp with a gentle massage, then cover your head with a cloth and let it sit for at least three hours, then rinse with warm water. The treatment should be done every day for a month, then it can be continued for six months but only once a week. With this treatment the symptoms and discomfort will disappear gradually, and after six months all the problems will have disappeared completely.
Additional treatments and recommendations
- Prepare an infusion by placing some dandelion leaves in a cup of boiling water, allow it to cool and then drink it. This infusion should be taken three times a day until improvement is noticed.
- Another infusion that is helpful in resolving these problems of the scalp is one prepared with horsetail. Use the same procedure as above, only using a spoonful of the dried plant for each cup of water. Drink it once a day.
- When problems with excess grease appear in your hair, you can boil a bunch of cypress sprigs in a liter of water. When it cools, massage it throughout your scalp, and then wash your hair as usual afterward.
- People who have this scalp problem must be very careful with the foods they eat in order not to worsen the symptoms. You should avoid at all costs foods that are high in fat, such as fried or processed foods and many sauces. It is best to select all kinds of vegetables, especially those that are rich in selenium and zinc, such as cucumber, squash, onions, asparagus, eggplant, figs and nuts, among others.
Home remedy to fight dandruff
- To reduce the production of dandruff it is very effective to rub the scalp with apple cider vinegar, which is applied by gently massaging it onto your scalp with your fingers. Leave it on for twenty minutes and then rinse with abundant warm water. You can do this remedy two to three times per week.
- Tea tree oil can also be an effective remedy to combat this scalp problem, because this natural product has anti-bacterial properties, it is an antiseptic, antifungal and antibiotic, so it offers great hope for an early solution to this problem.
- Another home remedy that gives great results in a short amount of time is one made with apple cider vinegar, rosemary and mint. To prepare it, you need one liter of apple cider vinegar, some fresh rosemary sprigs and a few fresh mint sprigs; put the apple cider vinegar in a bottle with a lid, add the sprigs of rosemary and mint, close the lid well and place in a dark place at room temperature. Leave it alone for at least twenty days, then strain the mixture and put into another bottle. With this mixture you can gently massage onto your entire scalp, allow it to act for fifteen or twenty minutes and then wash your hair as usual.
- Finally it is recommended that you wash your hair frequently, since in this way you can avoid the development of grease that can worsen the appearance and condition of the hair and scalp in general.