Why do my hands go numb when I sleep?
Do your hands go numb when you sleep? Have you ever woken up suddenly with an unexpected feeling in your hands, and annoying tickling. Do your hands go numb several times at night, waking you up with a strange sensation? If so, then read on as we will explain the common causes and remedies for this occurrence.
Cramps or numbness in the hands could be caused by something normal: sleeping in a bad position and blocking blood flow is quite normal. But at other times, it doesn’t have anything to do with your position. It is an unpleasant sensation that sometimes shows up in other areas of the body as well, like the legs or feet. Let’s take a look at the causes.
Causes of hand numbness
- This is undoubtedly the most common cause. The three main fingers: the thumb, index and middle finger, tend to be the most affected by Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This problem is associated with the median nerve, a peripheral neuropathy that applies pressure to the wrist, causing symptoms like Pain, difficult movement, loss of sensitivity and it also causes the well-known symptom of numbness. And it is at night when these bothersome effects are most felt.
Work throughout the day
- Sometimes the wrists become overloaded. Manual work like writing a lot on the computer, using scissors, tools, sewing…could all cause the nerves in the hand to suffer. Continued bending and unbending of this area of the body frequently overloads it, if this is done intensely. The pain appears especially at night, when you are no longer moving it and the nerves and tendons release their pressure most intensely.
Being a few pounds overweight, exercising very little or eating an inappropriate diet, could cause swelling not only in the feet, but also in the hands due to fluid retention. The sense of tingling is always most intense at night, circulation is affected, and it creates pressure, giving way to this characteristic discomfort.
Vitamin B deficiency
- Often times, having a deficient and incorrect diet leads to not having enough B vitamins. This lack of vitamins creates consequences that are sometimes overlooked. They’re associated with other things, fatigue from work or from the day to day, without understanding that is it basically just a lack of something. Fatigue, drowsiness, skin paleness, feeling like you’re experiencing tachycardias and numbness in the hands and legs is very characteristic of these cases. The hands and legs go numb at night, making this another factor to keep in mind.
Remedies for numbness in the hands
- Before going to sleep, drink a tablespoon of linseed oil. According to several studies, this is an effective anti-inflammatory that acts especially on the extremities, alleviating the sensation of numbness in the hands.
- Dip your hands in the bathroom sink with fresh water. Including a few ice cubes makes this much more effective. This will alleviate pressure, inflammation around the nerves, and pain. Do this before going to bed and you will notice that it gives you a slight rest.
- Eliminate salt consumption from your diet, as well as acidic drink. These products accentuate inflammation and pain. It’s better to skip them.
- Keep yourself well hydrated, drink at least two liters of water a day. You could, for example, prepare an artichoke drink to benefit from its diuretic and cleansing effects, thereby preventing fluid retention. All you need to do is boil a few artichokes in water, and filter it out. Then mix it with the juice from half a lemon.
- It is important that you include Vitamin B in your diet. Tuna, potatoes, bananas, and all other leafy green vegetables could help provide you with this indispensable vitamin. Additionally, you could find supplements at the pharmacy or in health food stores, which could complement your diet and make you healthier. You may even experience relief at night.
- If you frequently have manual work that forces you for use your hands and wrists for several hours, use a compression wristband. This will apply enough pressure to protect your nerves and joints, and prevent you from overloading them.