Do you get a lot of urinary tract infections? Aside from the medication prescribed by your doctor, it’s always a good idea to make sure you’re following an adequate diet, and fruits can be your friends. Want to know which are the best ones for you?
Benefits of fruit for urinary tract infections
Urinary tract infections are a very common nuisance for women. Usually when we get that annoying inflammation of the bladder, we also feel a burning sensation when we urinate, pressure in the abdominal area, and sometimes even a low-grade fever. Has this ever happened to you? As you probably know, it’s usually treated with a course of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. But today we want to give you some guidelines that can complement your treatment regimen, and fruits are one very appropriate addition.
So why are fruits helpful? Basically this is because they’re so rich in vitamin C and other compounds that help you gradually reduce the bacteria found in the bladder. We’re also going to give you a rundown of the various strategies you can follow in addition to your course of antibiotics:
- Drink plenty of fluids. This will help clean out the bladder and the urinary tract.
- Teas made with chamomile, cinnamon, and rosemary are also quite helpful because they reduce inflammation.
- Eat foods that contain antibiotic properties. Know what they are? Sure you do. They include garlic, ginger, parsley… You can make a ginger tea for the afternoons, or a concoction by boiling 5 sprigs of parsley in a cup of water. Filter the liquid and drink it – you’ll feel better.
- Diuretic foods, as you know, prevent fluid retention and promote urination. The best ones are asparagus, cucumbers, celery and beets.
- Avoid foods that can irritate the bladder like coffee and green tea.
- Avoid foods made with refined flours, yeast, and sugars – all these do is increase the retention of fluids and won’t help fight the infection.
- Drink a glass of water every day with a tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in it. This will help get rid of your urinary tract infection.
Fruits that help you fight that urinary tract infection
1. CranberriesDo you like cranberries? Can you easily find them in your local grocery store? You should always think of cranberries whenever you have issues with the urinary system – doctors and nutritionists are already well aware of their excellent antibiotic and antioxidant properties. Cranberries increase the acidity of the urine, which helps eliminate all manner of bacteria by either killing them off or preventing them from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract.
Here’s a tip: don’t buy the pre-packaged cranberry juices in supermarkets because they don’t contain any active ingredients that promote healing, and they also have high amounts of sugar. It’s much better to buy fresh cranberries and make the juice at home.
2. PapayasPapayas are another example of a fruit with high acidity that helps remove bacteria and care for the urinary system. They’re a natural source of antioxidants and vitamin C. Another fact to consider is that papayas promote detox by being rich in fiber, and combined with high levels of antioxidants this fruit helps cleanse the bladder, intestines and colon.
Papaya is also good for us because it contains enzymes that reduce inflammation and promote healing. Are you going to miss out on this one? Don’t hesitate to try it – it’s very therapeutic for urinary tract infections.