Fruits that Help Treat Urinary Tract Infections
Fruits are rich in vitamin C, which can help the body eliminate bacteria in the bladder. By increasing your consumption of citrus foods you also improve intestinal health.
Do you get a lot of urinary tract infections? Aside from taking medication your doctor prescribes, a balanced diet can also help prevent frequent UTIs. Including plenty of fruit is an easy and delicious way to protect your urinary tract. Want to know which fruits are the best?
Benefits of fruit for urinary tract infections
Urinary tract infections are a common nuisance for women. UTIs cause inflammation of the bladder, a burning sensation when urinating, pressure in the abdominal area, and sometimes even a low-grade fever.
Doctors usually prescribe a course of antibiotics for these infections, but there are other things that can help for a quick recovery. Here are some guidelines on what fruits you should eat to help fight the infection and feel better more quickly.
The high content of vitamin C content and other compounds that fight bacteria found in the bladder make fruit a powerful weapon against UTIs. Before we talk about the most effective kinds of fruits to include in your diet, here are some tips that will enhance the effectiveness of your antibiotics to get rid of your infection.
- Drink plenty of fluids. This will help clean out the bladder and the urinary tract.
- Teas made with chamomile, cinnamon, and rosemary are also great because they reduce inflammation.
- Eat foods with antibiotic properties. Some examples are garlic, ginger, parsley… You can make a ginger tea, or drink a parsley infusion. Just boil 5 sprigs of parsley in a cup of water, then filter the liquid and drink it warm or hot.
- Diuretic foods prevent fluid retention and promote urination. The best ones are asparagus, cucumbers, celery, and beets.
- Avoid foods that can irritate the bladder like coffee and green tea.
- Avoid foods made with refined flours, yeast, and sugars – these just increase the fluid retention and won’t help fight the infection.
- Drink a tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water every day. This will help get rid of your urinary tract infection.
Fruits that help cure your urinary tract infection
1. CranberriesDo you like cranberries? Can you easily find them in your local grocery store? If so, cranberries should be your go-to whenever you have issues with your urinary system. Doctors and nutritionists are already well aware of their excellent antibiotic and antioxidant properties.
Cranberries work because they increase the acidity of the urine. That, in turn, helps eliminate bacteria by killing it or preventing it from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract.
Here’s a tip: don’t buy the pre-packaged cranberry juices in supermarkets. They don’t contain any of the active ingredients that promote healing and they also have a high sugar content. It’s much better to buy fresh cranberries and make the juice at home.
You might like: 10 Best Fruits for Fighting Against Water Retention
Papaya is also good for you because it contains enzymes that reduce inflammation and promote healing. Don’t miss out on this nutritious and delicious way to prevent urinary tract infections, eat some papaya today!
3. Orange and lemon juice
As you know, few fruits are as rich in vitamin C and antioxidants as oranges and lemons. Make a juice in the morning with two oranges and half of a lemon. Drink it slowly and don’t filter out the pulp – it can also help cleanse your intestines. Drink this juice every day, or alternate it with with the other fruits we’ve been talking about.
Read more: The Orange Diet for Weight Loss and Health
4. PineapplePineapple contains enzymes that speed up your recovery time by reducing inflammation in the bladder. This medicinal fruit is worth eating every day, any way you like. Add it to salads, eat it by itself, or have it in juice.
5. Red grapes
Not only are they rich in antioxidants and vitamins, but they also reduce inflammation, are highly diuretic, and help you recover quickly.