Find Out What Causes a Metallic Taste in Your Mouth

Have you ever wondered what causes a metallic taste in your mouth? This strange taste can be due to medical problems.  If this doesn't go away in time, it's important to see a specialist to get a diagnosis and avoid other problems.

A metallic taste in the mouth is more common that what many think. In reality, it can indicate various health problems.

The condition can be temporary, or it could vary from mild to serious, depending on the cause. It may develop for various reasons and can lead to a total loss of appetite. Speaking may even become a problem.

Principal causes of a metallic taste in the mouth

Certain medications

Pills can be what causes a metallic taste

When starting a medical treatment, a metallic taste may appear in your mouth. If this is the case, you can see a specialist and ask to change to something that will not have side effects.

Among the medications that can cause this effect are:

  • Antibiotics
  • Antidepressants
  • Medicines used for kidney stones
  • Some compounds used to balance the calcium
  • Treatments for hypertension

We recommend:  5 Things that you should remember if you take antidepressants

Poor oral and dental health

Dental hygiene can also be one of the causes of this problem.

In addition, an excess of plaque can cause gingivitisThis is an infection that destroys the tissues that support the teeth.

Good dental hygiene is fundamental to protect you and eliminate the annoying metallic taste in the mouth.


Pregnancy

Pregnancy and metal taste go hand in hand.

In the first months of pregnancy, many women experience a metallic taste in their mouths.

This is the result of changes in hormones in the body, especially in the first trimester. Later, this condition disappears.

Allergies and infections

Some allergies and fungal infections in the mouth and on the tongue can affect the taste buds and change the taste in the mouth.

Allergies are also related to this. Mucous as well as nasal congestion can cause this problem.

Nervous system problems

The nervous system

An imbalance in the region of the brain that controls the sense of taste can cause this type of alteration.

High levels of minerals

The metallic taste can be due to an excess of minerals (like iron or copper) in the body.

Likewise, a deficiency or excess of zinc can also provoke a metallic taste. It’s a good idea to have an exam to determine the levels of these minerals in your blood.

Toxic agents

Stop toxic agents

The inhalation of toxic elements like benzene, cobalt, and varnishes or exposure to mercury or led can cause this taste if high levels have been inhaled.

Other causes of a metallic taste include:

  • Food poisoning, particularly fish and seafood.
  • Vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Also see: How do I know if I lack vitamins?

Recommendations to improve the problem

Salt water mouth washes

Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties of salt, this remedy works very well to treat your gums and kill mouth bacteria that causes a metallic taste. It also helps to:

  • Eliminate remains of food in the teeth after eating.
  • Sooth the throat and open up the congested nasal passage.

Citrus fruits

Consuming citrus fruits stimulates the secretion of saliva and helps to minimize the metallic taste. For this, you can eat oranges, lemons, grapefruit, etc.

Maintaining good oral hygiene

Brushing the teeth and tongue 2 or 3 times a day is recommended. Also, gargling is a good idea to eliminate microorganisms completely.

You can use a small amount of baking soda and salt on your toothbrush to get rid of all the germs.

Hydrate sufficiently

Drink 7 to 8 glasses of water a day to help the body stay hydrated and clean. As a result, this will prevent dryness of the mouth.

Lozenges and candy

Certain flavors of lozenges and candy such as mint, eucalyptus or licorice can mask the metal taste and help to hydrate your mouth.

Likewise, chewing on a piece of cardamon or clove in the middle of the day helps to refresh the mouth and have fresh breath.

If the problem doesn’t improve after a few days, you should consult a doctor, who can check to see if there is a pathogen causing this issue.

Don’t forget  that the remedy or the treatment can vary depending on the cause of the problem.

You May Like