How to Clean Your House With Baking Soda
Many people use baking soda as a natural ingredient for cleaning.Here are some ways to clean your house with baking soda.
Baking soda is said to have a thousand and one uses, and there’s plenty of it to go around. Baking soda has a huge importance in the home, especially if you are looking for more natural alternatives for cleaning products with chemicals. In the following article, we will tell you just some of the ways in which you can clean your house with baking soda.
Why use baking soda to clean your house
Who doesn’t like to have every corner of their home clean? Unfortunately, to achieve this goal, we usually have to resort to using chemical products. The problem is that studies have proven that they’re not very good for your health. That’s because they’re toxic, cause irritation to your nasal cavities or skin, and have various other problems.
Thus, it’s counterproductive to clean your home to rid it of viruses, bacteria, and germs with chemical products. You’re using cleaning products with ingredients that might make you sick in another way. Yet you don’t need to expose your body or your family to these harmful products. That’s because there are different natural options to clean your house.
Also Read: How to Purify Bacteria in Your Air
There are thousands of effective ingredients you can use to clean your house, but in this case we want to talk about baking soda. This is a substance of which you can use in many ways to help clean your house naturally. Baking soda is an excellent ally for neutralizing and removing bad odors in almost all of your home’s materials and rooms. It can also be used to reduce the appearance of grease or oil stains.
In almost every case, you just have to mix 1 liter of water with 1/4 cup of baking soda. For some cases, you may need specific measurements or proportions. you will also need a sponge or brush to make cleaning more effective. Cleaning with this natural product will not require too much effort. And it’s good for the environment. That’s because you’re not putting products that contain toxins down the drain.
The many uses of baking soda in the home
These are some of the applications that you can use baking soda for to clean your house naturally. It may be less dangerous than degreasers or disinfectants that you buy in the store:
- Cleaning pipes: The products that are mainly used for cleaning your house’s drains and pipes tend to be very harmful. They may be so harmful that they have warnings against using them too much, breathing them in, and, of course, consuming them. A good option to unclog pipes is to pour baking soda directly into the drain and then add vinegar. Let this sit for at least 15 minutes. You will see bubbles forming in this time because of the reaction between these two elements. Finally, rinse with clean hot water.
- Cleaning toys: Children’s toys are always full of dirt and can contain a a lot of bacteria and viruses. You can prevent your children getting sick from playing with them. There’s nothing better than submerging them in a bowl with a solution of 4 tablespoons of baking soda in a quarter of a liter of water. Leave it in all night and rinse in the morning. If it is stuck to it, you may need to use a sponge or brush.
- As a fabric softener: The ones you buy at the store give your clothes a perfumed smell but they create a layer of grease on the fibers to compensate for the action of powdered soap or detergent. Use a cup of baking soda to wash an eco-friendly product and as a softener directly in the washer. Keep in mind that this is not a cleaner.
- Absorbs odors: One of baking soda’s characteristics is that it helps neutralize organic odors, like those of animals, food, or sweat. You can use it to remove foot or shoe odor, in laundry baskets, in the dog’s cushion, in the refrigerator, etc.
- Cleans rugs: Add a generous amount to the rug that you want to clean, let it sit all night, and in the morning, vacuum or sweep it. This is an excellent option to eliminate pet odor or food and drink stains. You can also do the same for your car’s carpet.
- Cleans the oven: You just have to sprinkle water on the inside and then cover the surface with a few tablespoons of baking soda. Leave it closed and let sit all night. If it wasn’t very dirty, you will see that it is shinier the next day. If it has old stains, you will need to wash it with a wet cloth with water and soap and rinse it off with water.
Images courtesy of Liesi, athriftymrs.com, solylunafamilia, Scott Rubin, Kate Ter Haar, Rex Roof.