Milk protein helps prevent age related muscle loss. It also increases strength, endurance, and recovery after training.
During decades, whey has only been a byproduct during the cheese-making process. However, nowadays this raw material is an essential ingredient for some culinary additives and is also the base of the famous whey protein shakes. In this article, you can learn all about the properties of this food, and who should consume it in order to benefit from its medicinal properties.
What is Whey?
Sweet whey is the liquid byproduct from manufacturing cheese or casein. It has a yellow-green color, a cloudy appearance, and tastes a little sweet. Also, it mostly consists of water and has a small amount of protein and fat.
Whey is rich in vitamins A, B and C, and minerals such as iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus. It’s important to stress that it contains lactose.
Check out this article too: 10 Foods Rich in Potassium to Add to Your Diet
An increasingly popular dietary product consisting of high biological value proteins is extracted from whey. Its known as whey protein, and as mentioned above, it contains all essential amino acids, which are those that the body absorbs the best.
This milk drink, which is usually sold as a powder and combined with other ingredients, is very common among athletes due to its excellent properties.
Here are the main health benefits of whey protein:
- Increases strength, endurance, muscle mass, and recovery after training. This is why an increasing number of athletes are drinking it. In addition, it’s more digestible than other animal protein alternatives.
- Helps prevent age related muscle loss, known as sarcopenia.
- Helps reduce body fat from building up, especially around the belly/abs.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Has anti-cancer properties.
- Strengthens the Immune system
- Lowers blood sugar levels and sweet cravings. Also prevents type 2 diabetes.
- Lowers blood triglyceride levels.
- Fights hypertension.
- Lowers stress.
How to Drink it
It’s a good idea to follow the suggestions of some trainers to drink several whey protein shakes a day or use as a meal substitute.
You should take this natural product as a supplement to reinforce sports training or drink it occasionally. It can also be a good breakfast when combined with other ingredients, such as fruit, nuts, oatmeal, extra virgin coconut oil, etc. It tastes quite delicious when combined with banana, cacao, cinnamon, natural vanilla, red berries, or tropical fruits.
Read this article too: 7 Reasons Why You Should Eat More Nuts
How to Choose the Protein
To obtain whey protein, whey must undergo a certain transformation process that you should know about since there are many different brands and qualities. You must choose the most effective one, but also the one that will benefit your health the most:
- Whey protein isolate: obtained by removing the fat and lactose. It also has a lot of protein. However, this variety is not recommended because acids are used during the process and it’s also heated at high temperatures, so it loses many of its properties. Also, it’s usually more expensive because it’s a processed product.
- Whey protein concentrate: this product is obtained prior to the aforementioned isolated process. It contains certain amounts of fats and lactose, and less protein. However, it’s more natural and balanced.
- Organic quality: in addition to choosing the concentrated option, it’s a good idea to choose an organic product. This way you’ll be sure that the cows used to make it were fed without pesticides or herbicides. Also, the resulting product is richer in nutrients.
- Other ingredients: when choosing a brand, you have to read the label to make sure the other ingredients are also of good quality. You should avoid those containing sugar, sweeteners, and artificial colors or flavors. The best sweetener for your smoothie is stevia and the flavors should be natural extracts.