Twelve Ways to Reuse Old Appliances
Unfortunately, old appliances get damaged. Some even speak of “planned obsolescence”, which is something that the factories themselves add to make an appliance ‘die’ after a certain time.
Nevertheless, most people have many appliances in their homes, including computers, washing machines, dishwashers, and televisions, among others. When they get old, they can be transformed into wonderful and original objects with a little ingenuity and some tools.
When an appliance breaks, you probably just replace it with another one and take it to the recycling center nearest you. However, there are also some very original, fun, and fantastic ideas to renew your home’s decor by transforming your old and broken appliances!
Ideas to Transform Your Old Appliances
Here are some fantastic ideas that will inspire you the next time you need to replace a broken appliance. It doesn’t matter if it’s a fridge or TV, because you can transform anything.
- Transform an old TV into a fishbowl. (We’re obviously talking about those very old and bulky TVs).
- You can also use an old computer screen to make a fishbowl. To do so, you need to seal the interior so the water doesn’t slip through.
- You can convert your washing machine drums into lamps. To do this, you have to disassemble them, clean them out, and dye them. You’ll love the final products! You can make floor or hanging lamps with them, as well.
- Turn a small refrigerator into a side table. You can use it to store dishes, glasses, bottles, or napkins. Although the fridge obviously no longer works, it’s perfect for storing things. You can paint the outside with chalkboard paint to give your home an original touch.
- Transform your old computer screen into a small house for your pet.
- Reuse your old dishwasher racks to store books, videotapes, or CDs. Since they have wheels, they can be moved around easily.
- You can also use your flatware organizers for pens and all kinds of school supplies.
- If you’re good at building things, you can convert your entire dishwasher into an armchair.
- Use your fridge as shelves to store all your books.
- Attach hard glass over an old TV to create a side table.
- You can transform an old toaster into a decorative item by adding tiles and beads.
Take a look at this article: 12 Easy Home Decoration Crafts
The Importance of Recycling
The truth is that few people know what to do with their broken appliances. They often don’t want to take them to get repaired because, in a way, it’s a better investment to buy a new appliance than fix the old one.
In this case, we want to tell you where to take the old, broken, or damaged appliances that you don’t want to recycle.
Before you go, don’t miss: 19 Creative Ways to Recycle Cans
What to Do With Broken Appliances
People usually ask themselves what to do with a broken appliance. In this regard, you should know that it’s a big mistake to simply put them out on the sidewalk. You can’t throw appliances away in the nearest container, because this is a form of pollution.
Generally, establishments that sell appliances also take care of broken and old appliances that you no longer want. Thus, one way to get rid of old appliances is to take them to these stores. You can also donate your old appliances to those who need them or sell them.
When an appliance is damaged beyond repair, you must look for the recycling centers in your cities that are destined for these big and heavy appliances.
If you don’t know where the nearest one is, just ask in city hall.
Finally, you can also resort to services that pick up these appliances right at your door. To do this, you need to know which days these services pass by your neighborhood. This is one of the best ways to recycle big appliances.
Don’t Forget the Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
As you may have seen, you can make many things with your old appliances: from shelves and a fish tank to a side table. It’s important to note that these handicrafts aren’t simple and do require patience and many tools.
However, if you like recycling and have enough space to work with old appliances, don’t hesitate to try to create useful objects with them.
Surely you can think of many other things to make. Just let your imagination run wild!It might interest you...