The Top 5 Remedies for Treating Gum Infections
Inflammation is one of the main symptoms of an infection. To prevent the condition from getting worse, we want to show you 4 effective remedies for treating gum infections.
What is a gum infection?
Gum, or periodontal disease, is a condition that affects the upper or lower gums. The symptoms of these kinds of infections are noticeable, as they include reddening and swelling.
Gum infections lead to two main gum diseases: gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gingivitis is the visible, reversible inflammation of the gums. In some cases, it may be related to an infection. The main causes of gingivitis are usually the plaque and tartar that accumulate in the mouth.
- According to this information from the US National Library of Medicine, periodontitis results from a failure to properly treat gingivitis. In cases of periodontitis, the gum inflammation begins to eat away at the root of teeth, eventually leading to tooth loss.
How can you treat a gum infection?
Millions of people already know the golden rule: if you want a healthy mouth, you have to get a dental cleaning at least two times a year. In many cases, a build-up of plaque and tartar is the culprit of gum infections and it calls for professional help.
However, home treatments and remedies always come in handy. They’re also recommended by dentists themselves. By using a variety of these home treatments every day, you could make an effective and long-lasting treatment.
Below, we’ll show you several remedies that could be a big help for fighting gum infections:
1. Mouth wash
Mouthwash is designed to fight bacterial plaque. Plaque build-up is the main cause of gum diseases, such as gingivitis and periodontisis. This has been confirmed by a study carried out by the Complutense University in Madrid.
Mouthwash’s efficiency in fighting plaque makes it a vital ingredient in one of the most popular home remedies against gum disease. In this next section, we’ll show you how to make it:
- 2 tablespoons of mouthwash (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of water (15 ml)
- Salt (as preferred)
How can you make it?
- All you need to do is take a small amount of mouthwash and dilute it with the water, making sure not add the same amount of water as you do mouthwash.
- You can make the mixture stronger by adding a small spoonful of salt.
- Once you mix all the ingredients together, just gargle it after every meal when possible.
2. Baking soda
It is believed that baking soda can be a huge aid in maintaining good oral health. A wide range of natural remedies use baking soda as a base, which makes it a good choice for treating gum infections as well.
However, it’s important to be careful. Baking soda is an abrasive substance for enamel. This has been confirmed in an article by the San Gregorio Dental Clinic, which also stresses that there is insufficient evidence to confirm whether or not baking soda is more effective than normal toothpaste.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (9 g)
- 1 teaspoon of water (5 ml)
How can you make it?
- This is a really simple recipe. You only need to mix the baking soda with a little water until you have a slightly thick paste.
- Afterwords, apply the paste onto swollen gums for a few minutes and rinse.
3. Mashed potato
Potatoes are nutritious, delicious and easy to prepare. However, few people are aware of the fact that they also have healing properties.
One of the ways that you can use potatoes is by preparing mashed potato at home. This study, carried out by the SRM Dental College in Chennai, India, states that a solution of potato and hydrogen peroxide could be used as a dental whitener.
- 2 potatoes
- ½ cup of hot water (100 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 g)
How can I make it?
- Peal and slice the potatoes.
- It’s best to sue raw potatoes and add the hot water to mash them until you have a raw, potato puree.
- Next, you can add a little salt to taste, and apply the mixture to your swollen gums. Leave it on for half an hour to allow it to take effect.
4. Honey tea
Teas can speed up the healing process for any infection. In the case of swollen gums, a warm cup of honey tea can be a big help, especially if you can hold the tea in your mouth for a few seconds to soak your gums.
As confirmed in this study by the University of La Frontera in Temuco, Chile, honey has powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- 1 tea bag
- 1 teaspoon of honey (7.5 g)
- 2 teaspoons of herbs (10 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
How can I make it?
- Heat up the water and add in the tea bag.
- When removing the teabag, add the teaspoon of honey and if you wish, add some herbs as well.
- Let the tea cool and drink, keeping the liquid in your mouth for a few seconds in order to treat the affected areas of your gums.
Gum infections are a problem that affects millions of people all over the world. If you can treat it in time, you can prevent a small infection from becoming a serious problem.
If you use these remedies consistently, they can be a big help.