Learn How to Clean Your Shoes
Shoes are a critical component of every person's attire. In this article, we'll share some secrets to help clean your shoes.
Caring for your shoes is what will ensure that they last several years. Do you want to know how to clean your shoes?
Here are some tips so you can learn to clean each type of shoe.
How to Clean Your Shoes
1. Leather shoes
People who own these types of shoes always wonder what’s the best way to care for them. Leather shoes are many people’s favorites. This is why it’s important to know how to care for them.
- The first step of this cleaning process is cleaning the laces and brushing the shoes gently. This way, you’ll remove the dirt particles that hinder the cleaning method.
- Then, pour two cups of room temperature water into a container and add a considerable amount of neutral detergent.
- With a slightly damp cloth, clean your shoes with this mixture.
- Finally, rinse another cloth with water and clean them with it.
- Then, dry your shoes with a dry cloth.
- You can also polish your shoes to make them shiny and have them look brand new.
You may like:
2. Suede shoes
People definitely have a hard time when it comes to suede because they don’t know how to clean them. This material looks great, but cleaning suede shoes can be a real headache if you don’t have the right information.
Suede shoes require daily brushing.
It’s important to do this with a soft brush and always in the same direction. Also, suede protectors are very effective to keep these shoes in good condition.
- To remove deeper dirt, you can use the same brush to brush a bit harder.
- If they’re stained with mud, a good trick is to put them in the sun until they dry and then scrub them with a towel or suede brush.
- Is there a stain that doesn’t want to go away? Try using an eraser on it. This trick usually works. There’s also a more specific option for this: suede erasers.
- Finally, if they were stained with water, you can wet them completely with a wet cloth. Then, put some paper or other material inside to preserve the shape and let them dry in the sun. Once the moisture is gone, you can clean them using the process we just explained.
3. Canvas shoes
- First of all, you can use an old toothbrush to remove dust.
- For the soles that usually get dirtier, especially in light-colored shoes, you can use a baking soda and water mixture and brush.
- In addition, you also have the option of putting them in the washing machine and washing them with cold water. If you do, let them dry in the sun so the humidity doesn’t ruin them.
- You shouldn’t forget about the laces. To clean them, prepare a mixture of two cups of warm water and a teaspoon of dishwasher in a container and let them soak in it.
- You can also use this mixture on the shoes if you apply it with a soft brush. After doing so, you’ll have to rinse them with cold water, drain, and dry them with something inside so they don’t lose their shape.
We wear these types of shoes a lot, so how could we possibly leave them out of this article? Due to their characteristics, there are many ways to clean your shoes if they’re sneakers.
- First, let the laces soak in water with detergent. Then, apply the same mixture on a clean cloth and clean your shoes with it.
- In these cases, it’s only advisable to use the brush in the white areas.
- Toothpaste will help make your sneakers shine.
- The last step, as always, is to let them dry in the sun as long as necessary.
5. Patent leather shoes
Although they’re not the most common types of shoes, we still have to explain how to clean them.
- Many recommend using window cleaner with a dry cloth to clean them.
- For stains, cotton with petroleum jelly or furniture polish has proven effective. Furthermore, these products also help make your shoes shine again.
- You can also use vinegar for this purpose, especially when they’re very dirty. Just moisten the material with this product and scrub gently. However, remember that vinegar is an acid.
- Alcohol is another useful element to remove stains.
You’ll always find a suitable technique to clean each type of shoe. If you want to have your shoes looking brand new, it’s essential to have basic knowledge so you don’t ruin them.