Over time, our skin changes its tone and small brown circles start to appear, especially on our face and hands.
Fortunately, there are several home remedies that prevent age spots. We’ll tell you about them in this article.
Age spots: a sign of aging
The changes that occur in our body as we age are undeniable. Among them, are “solar lentigines,” also simply known as “age spots”.
They’re one of the most common signs of aging that appears much earlier than others.
These blemishes are larger than freckles and are dark and flat. The develop mainly on the:
- Back of the hands
- Upper chest.
While they have no serious health consequences, many people want to prevent them eliminate them for beauty reasons.
The main cause of age spots is sun exposure.
It’s true that humans need to be in contact with ultraviolet rays to make vitamin D. However, being exposed to too much sun can damage the skin.
Spending many hours outdoors especially in summer damages the superficial layers of the skin and accelerates the degenerative process.
Another thing that triggers skin blemishes is photo-sensitizing substances, which are present in some perfumes. They cause an allergic reaction upon contact with sunlight.
There are also people more prone to age spots due to genetic predisposition.
How to prevent age spots
Many women (and some men) worry about the spots on their hands or face when they’ve already appeared.
However, early prevention of this problem is very important. We recommend changing some habits to reduce the appearance of those brown marks that are so unsightly, even from the age of 30 or 35:
1. Don’t expose yourself to too much sun
It’s very important to protect yourself from UV rays to prevent skin damage.
When the sun is very intense (for example, at noon, in summer) it causes slight burns on the skin, which then become spots.
2. Use sun protection
On sunny and hot days, we recommend using sunscreen which is at least SPF 30.
You can also use sunscreen for if your skin is too white or sensitive.
3. Wear proper clothing
In addition to not going outside between 11am and 3pm in the summer, it’s also advisable to wear clothes that cover the whitest areas of your skin such as your back.
4. Eat fruits and vegetables
Food is essential to keep us healthy inside and out.
We recommend that you consume many natural fruit juices, salads, soups, and all the recipes you can think of that include in-season raw vegetables.
Home Remedies to Reduce Skin Blemishes
If your first age spots have already appeared on your skin because of sun exposure or your age, don’t be discouraged.
There are different natural recipes that can reduce them:
1. Chickpea Mask
It’s easy to prepare and the ingredients are available everywhere. We recommend using canned chickpeas so you don’t have to cook them for hours.
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas (150 g)
- ¼ cup water (62 ml)
- Wash the chickpeas and then place them in a bowl.
- Slowly pour water into the bowl, while crushing the chickpeas with a mortar.
- When you get a smooth paste, apply it on the blemishes. You should make sure that the area is clean and dry.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes so that it can dry thoroughly.
- Don’t rinse it off. Instead, let the dry paste “fall off” on its own .
- Repeat this treatment every night.
2. Lemon juice
The high level of acid in this fruit penetrates the layers of the skin and removes blemishes.
However, this remedy should be applied at night to avoid the opposite effect: having lemon juice on your skin when out in the sun can result in adverse reactions.
Lemon juice is perfect for when the age spots first appear.
- It’s as simple as cutting a lemon in half and rubbing it on your skin after bathing.
- After a few minutes, rinse your skin with warm water.
- If you don’t have lemons, you can try red onions, which offer the same results.
This plant is very effective for eliminating age spots.
The treatment is very simple:
- Open a dandelion stem horizontally to remove the liquid from the interior.
- Rub this liquid on the blemishes up to three times a day. Don’t rinse it off.
- You can do the same with the gel inside aloe vera plants, which is also beneficial to have in your home.
4. Apple cider vinegar
You surely have this ingredient in your kitchen. It has effects similar to lemon, because of its acid level.
If you mix it with your usual hand cream (2 parts cream and 1 part vinegar) you’ll achieve an incredible home remedy to eliminate age spots.