Add Black Pepper to Your Washing Machine
Anyone who has never witnessed the slow fading of colors of their new clothes after a few washes can consider themselves lucky. However, this is a problem that usually varies according to the type of fabrics and the care you give them. So, with that in mind, we want to tell you why should you add black pepper to your washing machine!
Well, according to popular literature, adding this spice to your wash can help to preserve the color of your fabrics. So, if turning the garments inside out hasn’t worked, or if using specific products didn’t work either, why not consider this option? We’ll tell you more about it in the article to follow.
Why should you put black pepper in your washing machine?
For many years, people have used black pepper as a remedy to promote the removal of residue from laundry products. Anecdotal evidence shows that this spice acts as a “sandpaper” inside the washing machine. Therefore, besides using it as a seasoning, it can be a good option for garment care as well.
In particular, it’s said that its properties contribute to maintaining the original tone of colored garments. There are even those who claim that it prevents clothes from wrinkling as much. You should note that the shades that benefit the most from this ingredient are dark shades, such as blue or black. So, are you ready to give this laundry trick and try?
You should keep in mind that it’s somewhat of an old wives’ tale and, therefore, there’s no total certainty that it’ll work. Still, you can try it the next time you wash colored clothes. However, avoid using it on white or light-colored clothes, as it could produce undesirable stains.
You may also be interested in: Best Ways to Use Baking Soda on Laundry
How should you add black pepper to your washing machine?
Having said the above, you’re probably curious about trying this interesting laundry trick. However, you need to go about it the right way to avoid possible inconveniences. So, in the following paragraphs, we’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to apply this method in the most effective way.
- Preparing the ingredient: First of all, you must grind the black pepper as finely as possible. In other words, make sure that it’s completely powdered. Or, of course, you can buy pepper that’s already in powder form.
- Prepare the clothes with the spice: Once the spice is ready, you should add it to your washing machine. About two tablespoons is the recommended amount.
- Prepare the machine: And finally, just turn on the washing machine and use the usual programs. The residue build-up will be removed as you wash. Once finished, you can dry your clothes as you always do.
You can also read: Cough Treatment with Black Pepper, Cloves, and Ginger
Final recommendations to maintain the color of your clothes
Adding black pepper to your washing machine isn’t the only way to make the color of clothes last longer. In fact, detergents and products are now being manufactured for this very purpose. However, if you prefer to opt for natural methods, there are several other interesting tricks you can put to the test. Check these out!
- To keep the colors of your favorite garments alive, add 1/4 cup of salt per liter of cold water. Then, put the garments in and let them soak overnight. Finally, wash as usual.
- Remember to always read the washing labels on each garment. Depending on the type of fabric, a specific wash is suggested. If you take these recommendations into consideration, you’ll be able to preserve its tone for a longer period of time.
- In case the garments fade, wash them by hand, separately from the rest of your clothes. Also, soak them in a little water and white vinegar before washing.
- Try to wash them cold, as hot water may cause some types of garments to lose their color.
- To care for both the color and quality of your fabrics, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the wash cycle. This ingredient has a similar function to that of black pepper. And if you’re also looking for softness, opt for adding 1 cup of white vinegar.
What should you remember about these washing tricks?
Both black pepper and other natural ingredients seem to be helpful aids when it comes to the washing of garments. However, you should keep in mind that these are tricks that come from popular literature and, therefore, there’s no total certainty that they work. In any case, you can try them following the instructions we’ve provided above.
If you choose to add black pepper to your washing machine, remember to do it only when it’s time to wash dark-colored clothes. It’s not recommended for white garments, as it could cause stains. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!