A Remedy for Psoriasis Based on Essential Oils
The Spanish Academy of Dermatology and Venereology tells us that, “In Spain, there are one million people affected by psoriasis out of the 125 million who suffer from this disease worldwide”. And, even though it’s considered a benign disease, for many patients, finding a remedy for psoriasis is a very complicated task.
Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease that arises due to the impact of the immune system on the body. The changes it produces in the skin cause sufferers to see their quality of life affected.
Many of the remedies used for psoriasis are aimed at relieving itching and inflammation. However, if you’re looking for something much more natural and not aggressive to the skin, it’s possible to turn to essential oils.
Essential oils and their effectiveness
Essential oils offer certain properties that can be beneficial. However, as expert Dr. Ignacio J. Dei-Cas states, “inappropriate use of essential oils can be toxic”. This will also depend on whether you’re allergic to any of its components.
If you take into account everything that Dr. Dei-Cas says about this disease, you could develop a first remedy for psoriasis that would consist of combining the following essential oils:
- Lemon balm: Helps to reduce itching and dryness of the skin that appear as a result of scaly lesions caused by psoriasis.
- Chamomile: Calms the skin and has a soothing action that instantly relieves itching and the feeling of discomfort on the skin. It also has properties that reduce inflammation.
- Bergamot: A little-known oil that soothes and refreshes the skin while providing fast relief from itching and dryness in the area.
- Lavender: This essential oil is a good remedy for psoriasis, as it not only moisturizes the skin, but also regenerates it.
Discover more here: 6 Essential Oils that Help Fight Dandruff
How to make a remedy for psoriasis
If you use all the oils that Dr. Dei-Cas considers to be good for treating psoriasis, then the way to make an effective remedy would be as follows:
- First of all, mix all the oils in a small container using approximately 15 to 20 drops of each one.
- You’ll need to have an aloe vera plant nearby, because you’ll need one or two leaves to extract the gel from them.
- Mix the oils together again with the aloe vera.
- Apply the mixture to the place you want to treat.
The importance of aloe vera lies in the fact that it has shown very satisfactory results when used on patients with mild psoriasis. Apparently the cure rate amounted to almost 83%.
Ways of application
The way to apply the remedy for psoriasis that we have discussed can be done in a number of ways. You can gently massage the area to relieve the feeling of discomfort, soothe the skin, and allow the remedy to penetrate much better.
You can also use compresses, soaking them with the product and applying them for a few minutes to the desired areas.
If you wish, carry the mixture in a small jar to have it always at hand if you need it outside the home. It’s also possible to make a kind of spray. To do this, you would have to whisk the ingredients together.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is well known for its antibacterial properties. In fact, it has become indispensable in the medicine cabinet, as it can be used both for acne and to treat seborrheic dermatitis. However, it can also help psoriasis.
Although the above-mentioned remedy for psoriasis is suitable for use at any time, using too much tea tree oil may have more problems than advantages in this particular case. To enjoy its benefits, it’s recommended to use it no more than once or twice a week.
Don’t miss this great article about Tea Tree Oil: The Oil of a Thousand Remedies
The method of application is to dip a cotton ball in the oil, apply it to the area you want to treat and leave it overnight. This will eliminate the dead cells, the redness and burning will disappear, and the scars left by psoriasis will progressively diminish.
Do you suffer from psoriasis? Have you ever tried a natural remedy like the one mentioned above? We hope that this remedy for psoriasis and the possibility of using tea tree oil will help to reduce the discomfort and improve your condition. Go ahead and try it!It might interest you...