Sugar-apple is a heart-shaped fruit native to the Peruvian Andes. Its flesh is sweet and contains seeds, and is covered by a green skin. It grows in autumn and winter, like oranges and grapefruit.
It is rich in vitamins (A, B complex and C) as well as minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc).
In this article, we will share with you some of the many benefits of eating this fruit.
1. It improves your cardiovascular health
Thanks to its high potassium content, sugar-apple helps to contribute to better cardiac health. Plus, it’s also a natural blood pressure regulator. In addition, it’s rich in antioxidants that control cholesterol levels.
Its low sodium and fat content is another reason to eat this fruit, especially for people who suffer from high blood pressure and other cardiac problems.
2. It’s naturally anti-microbial
Another benefit of eating sugar-apple is its capacity to act as natural protection against parasites.
These properties are due to its high content of fiber, niacin and cytotoxins. In addition, it also contributes high quantities of vitamin C, a natural antioxidant that helps the body to resist infections.
3. It’s a great weight-loss ally
Eating sugar-apple makes you feel full. This is ideal if you’re trying to lose weight without having to stop eating healthy and delicious foods.
You can add it to your diet as a snack, dessert or as a food to eat after doing sport. It’s also great for people who suffer from constipation because of its laxative effects.
4. It has a tranquilizing and anti-depressant effect
Sugar-apple is a nervous system regulator. That means that it works as an anxiolytic and tranquilizer, so it makes a great home remedy for people who suffer from stress or anxiety.
This fruit contains an alkaloid that regulates the secretion of the chemicals that cause depression.
5. It protects against osteoporosis
This fruit contains high levels of the minerals that contribute to the recovery processes from several diseases. These include:
- It contributes iron that helps with recovery for people with anemia.
- Sugar-apple is rich in calcium, which helps people who suffer from osteoporosis.
- It’s also rich in phosphorus, which helps to strengthen the memory.
6. It promotes a better pregnancy
Eating sugar-apple is a good idea for future mothers. Apart from being delicious, it has a high nutritional value.
It contains nutrients that contribute to the healthy development of the baby, such as:
- Essential fats
Sugar-apple helps with the development of the fetus’s brain, nerves and even immune system.
Regularly eating this fruit reduces the risk of miscarriage and helps to reduce morning sickness.
It also improves mood swings and food cravings.
7. It regulates digestion
As well as being easy to digest, this fruit is good for people who:
- Feel weak,
- Have spent several days in hospital,
- Have stomachs that don’t digest certain foods well any more,
- Suffer from dyspepsia.
Its low fat content and high fiber content help to both eliminate bad cholesterol (LDL) and absorb bile acids. This is very useful for people that suffer from gallbladder conditions.
In addition, it’s also an excellent natural laxative, given that its fiber regulates intestinal transit and bacterial flora.
8. It’s an antioxidant
Sugar-apples are an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamin C and polyphenol compounds.
These nutrients fight the oxidation that is associated with cancer, premature aging, atherosclerosis and neurodegenerative diseases.
It is also helpful for treating chronic congenital diseases.
9. It’s an excellent food for small children
Pediatric doctors widely recommend including sugar-apple in purees or juices because of its high nutritional content that helps to improve children‘s development.
The parts of sugar-apples and their benefits
- Skin: When cooked, it serves as a home treatment for chronic colitis.
- Seeds: Can be used as a treatment for dandruff and even as an antiemetic.
- Roots: An infusion of the roots serves as a strong purgative.
- Leaves: Used as a tea, they help to calm spasms and cramps. This is also a home remedy for anemia, colitis and malnutrition.
- Ripe fruit: Can be eaten as chunks or prepared as a puree. It contributes to treating malnutrition, anemia and weakness.
The sugar-apple is an incredible fruit that has been used since ancient times for therapeutic purposes.
Just remember not to overdo it when eating it Despite having innumerable properties, it’s also rich in sugar, so it is best not to eat more than one portion per day.