Seven Natural Fly Repellents You Can Make at Home
Is the buzzing of flies invading your dreams? Generally, it’s very irritating to have these flying insects circling you around you from head to toe. Firstly, what you must do is stop making your home a space they like. This is because flies feed off of food scraps and excrement. So if you leave a banquet in front of them, they’ll never go away.
So, if you’re someone who thinks: “It’s fine”, you’re wrong. This is because if you leave dirty dishes in the sink, have overflowing trash, and you don’t clean your pets’ waste in a timely manner, it’ll be very hard to get rid of them. Thus, it doesn’t matter how you’re feeding them; if you don’t keep your home clean, these natural fly repellents won’t work.
But as unpleasant as it is to think of, flies are a part of the food chain and they’re in charge of eating animal carcasses. So, keep them in their place and not in your house.
Natural fly repellents
We must make clear that there’s no evidence that these natural fly repellents against flies are effective. This is because they belong to the many folk remedies out there that might work in some cases but fail in others.
However, note that they’re mere alternative solutions to chemical insecticides that are harmful. Although many don’t know it, these products also have a negative impact on everyone’s health and their environments.
A study published in the Journal Cogent Medicine corroborates that the toxic substances in commercial products can cause:
- Neurological symptoms that include headache and dizziness.
- Respiratory difficulties, including pain and irritation and dyspnea of the upper respiratory tract.
- Gastrointestinal discomfort, which includes nausea and vomiting.
Even though there are reports of just a few cases of diseases pertaining to the use of household insecticides, the general recommendations are to either moderate or avoid their use. Thus, when it comes to getting rid of flies, try some folk remedies made with natural ingredients before you use harsh chemicals. Are you ready to take some notes?
1. Cloves and lemon
This herb does more than just give your food a special flavor and aroma. If you combine it with lemon, you get one of the best natural fly repellents for your home.
- 1 lemon
- 12 cloves
- Firstly, cut the lemon in half.
- Then, stick the cloves into it to cover the whole surface.
- Now, repeat with the other half.
- Finally, place them in the corners of your rooms or by the windows.
The fragrance they give off repels flies. If you like, you can repeat the process as many times as you want and put lemons all over your house to keep them away.
We recommend reading: 11 Herbs That Naturally Repel Mosquitoes
2. Lavender is one of the best natural fly repellents
When it comes to useful household herbs, lavender definitely comes near the top of the list. It doesn’t just smell wonderful but, according to popular literature, it can repel flies, fleas, and even mosquitoes as well.
- Usually, you can use an infusion, a lavender plant, or just buy a bunch of this herb and place it around your house.
3. A water-filled bag with vodka
This trick became popular in recent years. All you have to do is fill a ziplock bag with water and vodka and hang it outside your house in the doorways and windows.
- So, how does it work? Sunlight reflects off of the water and keeps flies from coming in. Plus, they can’t stand the smell of vodka.
Vinegar is one of the most popular ingredients when it comes to household chores. Here, you’ll mix it with a little bit of dishwashing liquid formula to repel flies.
- 1/2 glass of vinegar (100 ml)
- 10 drops of liquid soap
- Firstly, heat the vinegar to accentuate its smell.
- Then, pour it into a container once it’s warm.
- Add the 10 drops of liquid soap and stir it until it’s homogeneous.
- Finally, put it wherever there are flies and you’ll see how they fill the container.
You should also read: Science-Backed Properties of Apple Cider Vinegar
Flies flee from the smell of mint plants. Thus, all you have to do is make the following mint “perfume” to keep them away.
- 1 small jar
- 1 sponge
- 20 drops of mint essential oil
- 1/2 cup of water (125 ml)
- Firstly, put the sponge in the jar and soak it with a little bit of water.
- Then, add the 20 drops of mint oil and cover it.
- Let the mixture sit for a day.
- After this time, remove the cover and let the fragrance spread and keep the flies away.
- Finally, use the solution for as long as its fragrance lasts.
Garlic is one of the most widely used spices in homes. Although its flavor and aroma go very well in food, it’s said to be unpleasant for flies.
- You can keep them away by spraying garlic oil in your home or just putting it in containers where you tend to see them.
Cucumber seems to be another effective ingredient to ward off flies in the different spaces of your home. It’s said they don’t like its fragrance either.
- Slice a cucumber and place the slices around your home where flies tend to congregate. You might want to place them by the trash can, in the corners of your house, or close to your dining table.
- Try this for a week and you’ll see how the number of flies goes down.
Are you trying to repel flies away from your home?
As you can see, these repellents are easy to prepare and contain safe ingredients. In addition, unlike chemical insecticides, they don’t have a negative impact on your health and the environment.
Thus, use them whenever you need them in any space you prefer. Their constant use won’t cause allergies or contamination. Of course, you must keep in mind that they won’t be as aggressive as commercial products and, therefore, you might not always get results.