4 Tips to Take Care of Your Mattress
How do you take care of your mattress? Sometimes we don’t value the importance of this basic element of modern life. It’s a place where we spend between 7 to 9 hours every day of our lives.
Its firmness, its cleanliness, and it’s well-being are fundamental to good rest. They also help to guarantee good spinal health. These factors can also help to keep us from having allergic reactions.
We can’t forget that beds make a “fantastic” habitat for mites. So, it’s necessary to follow a series of steps to minimize their appearance. This also helps to guarantee a certain healthiness for us.
In this article, we want to explain what these steps are. Because, sometimes, small changes can give big results. And just maybe, they can even change our lives.
1. Good ventilation
Maybe you’ve heard someone say “making your bed in the morning isn’t good for your health.” We have to take a deeper look at what they’re saying. Otherwise, we’ll fall into simple sensationalism.
- Mites like hot and humid environments. If we make our beds right after getting up, it will stay warm and humid. This is all it will take for them to keep multiplying.
- It’s a good idea to wait 1 or 2 hours before making your bed.
- The best idea is to take off the bedding. If possible, you should also open the windows to let your mattress aerate.
- It’s important that we let fresh air into our homes. This way, we can take care of our bedding. This also helps us to ensure that mites living there will die.
Keep in mind that while the mites may have died, their exoskeletons are still there. These microscopic particles can stay in the mattress. Sometimes, they even cause allergic reactions.
Because of this, there is another strategy we will use.
2. Baking soda to disinfect your mattress
Now we know that it is a good idea to ventilate our bed every day. That means leaving the covers off for a while before making our beds.
The second key to maintaining a healthy mattress is to clean it. This can be done once a month. Here is an easy solution to do this.
What you need
- Your vacuum
- 1/2 a cup (100 g) of Baking soda
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
What to do
The next part is easy and has great results. First take off all of the bedding. Then, prop up the mattress next to the window.
- Mix the cup of baking soda with the tea tree oil. Then sprinkle this mixture on the mattress.
- If we need more, we can make another cup with the same quantities. This will ensure that we disinfect our mattress.
Let the mattress aerate for two hours. Remember to disinfect both sides of the mattress. Both of these ingredients are healthy, and they will leave a pleasant smell. Vacuum your mattress after it has been disinfected.
3. Flip your mattress periodically
Surely you already know this. But we can all bear reminding from time to time. Flipping our mattress will help to keep it from getting deformed.
- You should flip your mattress every week.
- Also, remember to turn your mattress. That means we should switch the part where we put our feet with the part we put our head.
We should also remember that the bed isn’t for sitting. Sometimes, we will sit on our beds for hours with a computer or a book.
These kinds of activities can lead to the deformation of our mattress.
4. Protection with a good sheet
All mattresses provide a good foundation. That being said, it’s a good idea to get a sheet to cover the mattress. This can guarantee a cleaner surface and a better sleep.
- It can serve as a barrier between your mattress and other things like sweat.
- We can wash a sheet like we do clothes.
- A good sheet is breathable, absorbent, and easy to wash. For example, those made from cotton are very good.
To conclude, you probably already knew most of this advice. We need to try to consciously try to keep our mattresses in good condition. By doing so, we can keep ourselves in good spirits and have more energy.
Your back will thank you. And, if you suffer from allergies, this advice may also be a great help. Let’s put it into practice!