Which Colors Affect Your Feelings?
There are certain colors that can actually affect our mood. Because of this, it’s always useful to understand a little bit about how the psychology of color acts.
This will enable us to create work and private spaces where we can live and work better.
We also know that each of us has a favorite color. Furthermore, although we don’t know fully know why, there are certain shades and tones that ground us, as well as define us.
Today, on our website, we want to present a summarized version of an interesting study conducted by the psychologist and sociologist Eva Heller, in a book called “The Psychology of Color.”
This book is composed of references in this important field, which tackle the intimate relationship between colors and the feelings they invoke in us.
Therefore, we invite you to find out more about this subject below. Perhaps, you’ll even find out more about your personality.
The Psychology of Colors
It’s highly possible that many of us find it difficult to believe that colors can be characteristics of personality patterns or that they can change our mood.
For this reason, the psychologist Eva Heller, from the Free University of Berlin, carried out a thorough study where she analyzed the answers and behavior of 2000 people in relation to certain colors and the feelings that they caused.
Thanks to this study, she was able to show that certain associations aren’t made randomly, but are in fact universal experiences that have a lot to do with our ancestors, our childhood, our language and our thoughts.
With this in mind, you could almost say that the effects colors have on us are innate. Let’s give you an example. Nobody would work or even relax in a room with walls painted black or red.
On the other hand, if the walls were green, white or blue, the effect the room would have on us would be much more positive. We’ll tell you why below, where you’ll also find more information about each color.
From the study carried out by Dr. Heller over the span of several years, it was clear that the population’s favorite color was blue, followed by green.
There are believed to be 111 shades of blue. The general characteristics that this color passes on are the following:
- Blue represents sympathy, harmony, and spiritual and divine virtues.
- It provides a certain feeling of distance, but also of fantasy.
- It also symbolizes intelligence, and is equally feminine as it is masculine.
- Green is, without a doubt, one of the most loved and interesting colors. It is related to hope, fertility, life and health. This is why green is a high power color.
- It’s also related to the youngest stages of life, because it has a very energizing hue, which conjures up freedom and the most intense strength.
We’re sure that you already have an inkling as to what this color symbolizes for the general population. This color does, indeed, represent passion, but also hate.
- There are 105 shades of red. Since antiquity, this color has been related to the upper classes. This is why it’s linked to richness.
- Red is also a dynamic color, which encourages the most intense activity.
- Here’s an interesting fact about the color red: according to the studies conducted by Dr. Heller, red is the color that animals like least.
The analysis carried out over several years indicates that yellow is one of the most contradictory colors.
- People see it as an entertaining color, but we also relate it to betrayal.
- It also symbolizes maturity and sensual love.
- It has also been said that yellow is a very optimistic color, which encourages work, reading, writing and creating things, in general.
Purple is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting colors. It is related to magic and feminism. Furthermore, purple is a color that represents power, as well as solidarity and respect.
Even though orange is a color that is heavily tied to the Buddhist culture, experts in the field of color psychology highlight that it is a bit underestimated.
This is because orange is an ideal color for settings in which you want to encourage contact and social understanding. Furthermore, it attracts light and is entertaining, pleasant and energetic.
We can more or less imagine what this color usually is related to: delicate things, alluring things, courtesy, and erotic tenderness.
However, we also have to take into account that pink is a very fitting color to put in our homes, seeing as it is relaxing, and it reveals hope and creativity. Combining pink with other colors undoubtedly offers us high originality.
This is the color of good, spirits, of new beginnings, pureness and innocence.
- Fashion designers love this color. This is why we wear black to give our outfit a touch of elegance.
- Despite the fact that today we still have doubts as to whether we should consider black a color (as it lacks light, which all colors have), our instinct continues to perceive it with a substantial negative component.
- Beyond fashion, black is related to the end, death and brutality.
This topic is undoubtedly interesting, as you will have seen.
It’s certainly true that we all have “a favorite color”. In fact, we commonly have between two and three favorites. Don’t hesitate to use them if they make you feel good.