3 Easy Ways to Cope with Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is a complex disease that requires some effort to address and cope with it. Weight changes, fatigue… are common symptoms. Besides medical treatment there are other strategies that can help you. Find out about three easy ways to cope with hypothyroidism with us.
Living with hypothyroidism
Each year many people are diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It is a disease caused by a disorder of the thyroid gland, a sudden change where the body stops producing the right amount of thyroid hormone. There is a deficit and that’s when you begin to notice the effects.
There is hair loss, weight gain, fatigue. We experience sleep disturbances and small changes to the skin, we notice it is drier… We also notice mood changes, such as increased sadness and apathy. Less inspiration to deal with things. If we add to that physically feeling bad and seeing how your body is swollen and we’ve gained weight, it makes us feel even more worried and down. These are all symptoms that fall within the pathology of hypothyroidism and your doctor do a complete blood test analysis.
The most common drug that is usually given in these cases is levothyroxine. Some people do recover but others must learn to cope with hypothyroidism. But this alteration of the thyroid gland may be treated daily by supplemented you’re your medication with a healthy lifestyle and diet. Therefore we encourage you to follow these tips.
5 tips to treat your hypothyroidism
Among the recommended foods for those who suffer from hypothyroidism are undoubtedly those with iodine. Thanks to it we can produce thyroxine and balance the deficit. So what foods are good for you? Seafood, eggs, fish and iodized salt (but don’t overdo it). Also kelp algae is also very healthy, but neither should you overdo it.
- Foods with omega 3 fatty acids are also very beneficial. Tuna, mackerel, oily fish, flaxseed oil and walnuts will help a lot. Do not neglect these.
- B vitamins: eat all those green leafy vegetables that you most like, as well as brewer’s yeast to balance your levels of thyroxine. Spinach, cauliflower, wheat germ and dairy products will make you feel good.
- Appropriate fruits: There are fruits that can accelerate and let our thyroid balance itself. Lemon juice for example helps the thyroxine be distributed better, as well as orange juice. Avocados, as healthy as ever, will provide an interesting dose of vitamin B. Also you should not neglect drinking grapefruit juice in the morning.
Herbal remedies for hypothyroidism
- Ginger: Do you like ginger? Excellent, because it will help you a lot. Thanks to ginger we can improve our circulation and thus activate our thyroid. It is a very stimulating plant and appropriate for this type of disease. In essence, all the bitter plants are going to help you.
- Hypericum (St. John’s wort): Do you know this plant? This plant is used for the side effects of hypothyroidism. It helps fight fatigue, gives us fortitude and stands as an ideal remedy to start your day off well. Consult your doctor if you take any other medication since it does interact with some drugs.
- Passionflower: Another wonderful plant to treat hypothyroidism. And what does it do? Improves our mood, helps overcome tiredness, headaches, apathy… you can take up to two cups a day.
- Cayenne tea: It may surprise you, but cayenne activates our body and activates blood circulation, relieving the sensation of cold so common in these cases. It is enough to add just a little of the powder to a cup of boiling water. Very little. Dissolve and then drink it slowly.
We know that hypothyroidism is a disease that takes time. Many people manage to overcome it and improve their quality of life. Others must live a long time with medication and seeing that are unable to lose weight and regain the body image they had before.
Do not lose hope. Ideally, you should make up your mind that this is an endurance test. You must pass ongoing checkups with your doctor, perhaps even undergoing surgery, but everything will be worth it. The diseases are often overcome by encouragement, perseverance and hope.
Know that you are going to have to change your eating habits, eliminate many things that you like, such as sweets, refined flours, fast food … you must increase your dose of vegetables, drink more fluids and exercise more. Swimming for example is very appropriate, as well as walking for a half an hour each day or, even dancing or aerobics. Get up every day thinking that every effort will be worth it, and soon you will feel better.
Some days you will feel more tired, but look in the mirror and tell yourself that hypothyroidism can be cured. You will regain your ideal weight, you will feel better and everything will be worth it. You deserve it.