Your 50s, a Great Age for Women
So, you’re approaching your 50s, or maybe you’ve already arrived! Our society, always looking for labels and stereotypes, often talks about the midlife crisis and the complex years that our 50s are supposed to be.
This is when you must confront and rethink many aspects of your life, especially with the onset of menopause.
Something we want to make clear from the beginning is that every age can be incredible, as long as your attitude is positive, brave, and enthusiastic.
Your 50s are a great age when many events occur.
That’s why, although it’s said with a bit of irony, many women see it as the adolescence of middle age. It’s when you’re on a roller coaster of hormonal and personal changes that need to be experienced with a clear head and a heart full of dreams.
Your 50s aren’t the new 20s – wear your 50s with pride
“Forty is the new 20 and 50 is the new 25.” This is one of those phrases you might hear a lot, and then tend to be a little mistaken.
See also: Good people have wounded hearts
- Your 50s are not, and will never be, your 20s. In fact, they can be better! By this time you feel good about everything you’ve lived and learned. There’s no need to want to be in your 20s anymore, because now you’re equipped with the armor of experience.
- At this age you are tough and beautiful, and you feel good about who you are.
- Another aspect to consider is that once you reach this age, true happiness comes with acceptance.
- You will care for yourself, dress well, and still be attractive, but there’s no need for a woman in her 50s to pretend to be 20.
Wanting or seeking that is only an extreme source of suffering.
Your 50s and the house “of hormonal horrors”
Karen Glaser, a sociologist at the University of King’s College London (UK), explains in her research that an increasingly common phenomenon is taking place.
- Women are having children at later and later ages. When a mother reaches her 50s, therefore, her kids are just becoming adolescents.
- The process of menopause with all its changes, including discomfort, hot flashes, insomnia, and mood swings, is exacerbated with their interactions with a teenager who is on the same hormonal roller coaster.
The effort to bring these two realities into harmony often involves experiences that are worthy of inclusion in a book.
Even though every woman will go through this phase at some point, facing your 50s isn’t always a bed of roses.
This is when you experience a great drop in estrogen. Your skin begins to sag and lose elasticity, you may have hair loss, fatigue…all this appears.
Discover: How to handle menopause
It’s a hard struggle to live through and to face each day. So 50 is not the new 25. Mothers have to struggle with their children, meeting their needs and their own too.
In your 50s, doubts disappear and certainties will appear in your mind
Many women arrive at their 50s and undertake a complex and critical personal journey: divorce.
- They start a new stage in solitude or in the company of their children, and this is more common in recent decades. It’s a complex reality because they may not have sufficient economic resources, but they still persevere.
- At this age there are no doubts, only the clear certainty of who you are, what you want, and what you deserve. The armor of experience that we spoke of at the start is what finally fosters that feeling of security.
- It’s time to trust your intuition, to undertake new personal projects that may or may not succeed. Projects that you’ll always carry out with the conviction that you’ll succeed.
At this age you live and reevaluate your own priorities
A few decades ago your partner and children came first, but now that you’re in your 50s, an important space for yourself begins to open.
Everything begins to re-balance in your mind and stronger self-esteem finally blooms with all the dreams that you still need to achieve.
Whatever your age, never forget that the best time for everything is always “now.”
Therefore, don’t hesitate to care for yourself, and to support yourself. Fight for your dreams and needs while offering happiness to those around you, and receiving it in turn.It might interest you...