4 Ways to Use Garlic to Treat Hypertension
Do you suffer from hypertension? Is someone close to you starting to have problems with their blood pressure? First of all, we must always follow our doctor’s advice. Only they can prescribe the appropriate treatment for our condition.
Currently, there are many different drugs to treat high blood pressure. Among them we find:
- Thiazide diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, such as captopril.
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers, such as losartan.
- Calcium channel blockers, such as amlodipine.
In addition to this, we need to become aware of the need to change our bad habits. Improving our diet, and restricting the consumption of salt (as this study carried out by the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile assures us), sugar and saturated fats, and doing some daily exercise will undoubtedly be excellent allies to help regulate your blood pressure.
However, there’s a home remedy that’s well worth taking into account: garlic to treat hypertension.
Did you know that garlic stands out as an excellent protector of heart health? This study, conducted by the University of Valladolid (Spain), affirms this. It can help reduce bad LDL cholesterol and regulate your blood pressure. However, more research is still needed to confirm these effects in humans and to specify the amount of garlic needed for such benefits.
Due to the usefulness of this ingredient, we’re going to show you 4 recipes that can help you. However, these should be taken as a complement to any medication, and always following the healthy habits we’ve talked about.
1. Garlic salt for your meals
Allicin is a medicinal substance present in garlic, and it’s the one that offers most of garlic’s benefits for our heart health, and so it’s well worth taking it into account. It’s also interesting to know that the Greeks and Romans used garlic as a kind of daily medicine to fight diseases and strengthen the heart.
According to a study in the Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine magazine, allicin obtains the inhibition of angiotensin 2 receptors. This substance also has vasodilatory effects, so both properties together are responsible for lowering blood pressure figures.
Neither can we forget that garlic is one of the best natural antibiotics around and is also a staple food in what many people consider to be the best diet in the world: the Mediterranean diet. This diet is so healthy basically because it restricts the use of salt and encourages the use of healthy fats, which we find in olive oil, for example.
According to this study conducted by the Hospital of Jaén, in Spain, garlic is really recommended to look after our heart. Would you like to know how to eliminate salt completely from your dishes by replacing it with “garlic salt”? Take a look at this:
Ingredients to make garlic salt
- 6 heads of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- It’s really simple to make. First of all, remove the skin from the garlic cloves and fry them in the olive oil. Once they’re golden brown, turn off the heat, making sure they don’t burn!
- Then, put them in a glass jar, separated from the olive oil so that they don’t get soggy and still remain crunchy. Every time you need to season your meals to give them flavor, just grate them a little. You will see what a nice touch it is!
Read more: Virgin Olive Oils: Are They All Good For You?
2. Taking garlic on an empty stomach?
Despite what people often say, consuming garlic on an empty stomach doesn’t bring any extra benefits. Including it in our diet, though, is healthy and advisable.
How should I take garlic to help reduce hypertension?
- The ideal thing is to take two cloves of garlic with a glass of water.
- You may find this remedy a little strong, but if you stop to analyze all the benefits, that little effort will be worth it.
- If you’re worried about bad breath afterwards, just drink some lemon juice or chew on a mint leaf and any bad odors will instantly disappear!
3. Garlic macerated in oil
We can assure you that it’s absolutely delicious. Taking garlic macerated in olive oil is an ancient remedy that will help us to reduce our hypertension in a really simple way, without forgetting that it’s also a very tasty and original culinary resource.
What you need
- 20 peeled garlic cloves
- A liter of extra virgin olive oil
- A glass jar
How to prepare it
- The first thing to do is to peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half. Now you only have to fill the glass jar you have chosen with that liter of olive oil and introduce the 20 garlic cloves, split and clean.
- You should leave them for at least three weeks before starting to consume this garlic oil. A very appropriate way to benefit from this remedy to help reduce hypertension is to spread it on your bread or toast every day. It’s also ideal to eat two of these garlic cloves every day.
Read more here: The Benefits of Garlic Oil for Your Health
4. Garlic tea
This is delicious! Garlic tea is another old remedy that’s very suitable to take care of your heart health.
If you choose, for example, to take the two cloves of garlic in the morning, then you can opt for this delicious tea at noon. Two very effective ways to use garlic to treat hypertension. Here’s how to prepare it.
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- Grated ginger (3 g)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Start by heating the water. Once it has started to boil, add the crushed garlic clove, the grated ginger, and the tablespoon of honey. Stir well and let it boil for 20 minutes. After that time, strain all the contents and keep the infusion.
- Now add the lemon juice, it’s delicious!
As you can see, there are many different ways to use garlic to hypertension. Although many studies show the effectiveness of this ingredient, garlic remedies won’t replace drug treatment under any circumstances. In addition, you should consult a specialist before including garlic regularly in your diet, in order to prevent any undesirable effects.