Vegetable Bread Recipes You’ll Love
There are many different ways to make vegetable bread. You can use your favorite ingredients and go with what’s in season; it all works!
When you think about eating vegetables, your mind probably immediately jumps to salads and soup. However, it doesn’t have to be that boring! Vegetable bread is a unique way to get some nutrition in — especially for kids.
For an appetizing, nutritious change of pace, there’s nothing better than vegetable bread, and we’ll tell you how to make it step-by-step. Plus, it’s quite budget-friendly and a great way to use up all the veggies you have in your fridge.
Tricolor vegetable bread
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of boiled potato (360 g)
- 3 cups of boiled carrot (360 g)
- 1 3/4 cup of boiled spinach (500 g)
- 1/2 cup butter (100 g)
- 2 tablespoon of minced garlic (20 g)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (2 g)
- Olive oil
- Saute the garlic and spinach in a pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then remove from heat and add two eggs. Mix well and set aside.
- Make a puree out of the carrots and season again with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and add an egg, mixing until smooth. Set aside.
- Now make a puree out of the potatoes and add an egg along with half of the butter and the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to medium heat.
- Grease a baking mold with the rest of the butter.
- First add the potato puree and make sure the top is smooth. Then add the spinach.
- Lastly, add the carrot puree and smooth the top again.
- If you like, make another layer of vegetables.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit a while before taking out of the mold.
Quick and easy vegetable bread
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- 1 leek
- 3 stalks of asparagus
- 2 cups of fresh spinach (100 g)
- Salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup of skim milk (100 ml)
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- Heat a pan with a bit of oil. Chop the onion rather finely and saute.
- Chop the pepper and asparagus the same way and add them to the onion. Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the carrots, also in small pieces, along with the leek in small strips. Let it cook another minute until the vegetables are tender.
- Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes, then add to the pan. Next, add the raw spinach (no need to chop).
- Let it cook another minute, until the spinach has shrunk.
- Separately, soak the bread with the milk. Once the bread starts to break apart, add it to the vegetables. Mix well and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to medium heat. Line a baking mold with parchment paper.
- Now beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables to the mold, then the beaten eggs on top. Lift the mold up a few inches and let it drop so that the mixture settles into the nooks and crannies.
- Prepare a water bath: fill another pan with some water and then place the mold in it. Cook for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Finally, remove from the oven and then the mold. Let it cool a bit before serving.
You may also like these recipes:
White sauce for vegetable bread
Vegetable bread goes great with bechamel sauce, or white sauce, which is also very easy to make. Here’s a basic recipe.
- 2 cups of milk (500 ml)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter, margarine, or vegetable oil (50 g)
- 4 tablespoons of flour (50 g)
- Pinch each of salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Set the milk on to boil.
- In a separate, deep pan, melt the butter or margarine (or heat the oil). You can also use a mixture of the three.
- Add the flour and stir until it turns golden.
- Remove from heat and add the boiling milk.
- Mix well and put on low heat again, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until it gets thick and bubbles form on the surface.
- Remove from heat and season. Serve with the vegetable bread of your choice.
Before you go, try these too: