Use Onions to Fight Coughs Naturally
While the properties in onions are perfect for fighting respiratory infections, you can also increase their expectorant properties when you combine them with natural ingredients.
Onions are a natural food that help you get over respiratory problems and fight coughs naturally. They do this because of their natural properties.
Onions are rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and antibiotic compounds. Because of this, they’re a vegetable that helps you to fight viruses and bacteria that attack your airways.
The most interesting thing is that, unlike traditional medicine, onions don’t cause unwanted side-effects. You can also mix them with several ingredients that boost your immune health.
Onions have other effects besides being an expectorant. They also reduce your congestion and control throat pain and the overproduction of phlegm.
Do you know how to use them? Don’t wait to try the following natural remedies.
Onions and honey
When you mix the nutrients in onions with the antibiotic properties in honey, you get a powerful, natural syrup. It calms coughs and reduces phlegm.
Both ingredients reduce irritation in your airways. Plus, they help you to get rid of toxins that have been stored in your body.
- 1 onion
- ½ cup honey
- Chop the onion into small pieces and put them in a glass jar.
- Then, pour the honey into the jar. Be sure that it completely covers the onions.
- Put a lid on the jar and let it sit for 12 hours in a cool, dark place.
How to use it
- Take a tablespoon of the syrup for breakfast. Take it two or three times per day.
- Take it on a daily basis until you get rid of your cough.
Onion and garlic tea
Mixing onion and garlic in a hot tea help you to relieve throat irritation. Plus, it also helps with excessive phlegm production that comes with coughing.
Its vitamins and minerals strengthen your immune system. They also help your body’s response to pathogens that attack your respiratory system.
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups of water
- Cut the onion and garlic. Put them in a pot with the water and put it on to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat. Let it simmer for two or three more minutes.
- Then, remove it from the heat. Let it cool at room temperature until it’s cool enough to drink.
- Afterward, strain and serve it.
Onion, garlic, and carrot juice
This juice that has onions is full of vitamins, minerals, and other important nutrients. They strengthen your immune system. This helps you better fight coughs and respiratory infections.
It has expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties. These make it easier to get rid of phlegm and other residues that cause congestion.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cups of water
- Wash all of the ingredients, peel them, then cut them into small pieces.
- Put all of them in your blender and add the water.
- Blend them for a few minutes until you get a smooth drink.
How to drink it
- Drink a cup of this juice for breakfast. Then, drink it again in the middle of the afternoon and again before going to bed.
- Drink it every day until your cough is gone.
- You can drink it as a preventative measure two or three times per week.
Onion and lemon juice
Onion and lemon juice is a natural antibiotic and expectorant. It helps you treat respiratory infections that cause coughing.
For this juice, we suggest mixing a little lemon juice. The reason for this is because lemon juice increases its nutritional properties and for strengthening your immune system.
- ½ onion
- ½ lemon, juiced
- First, cut up half of an onion and run it through a juicer.
- After getting its juice, mix it with the juice of half a lemon.
How to drink it
- Drink two or three tablespoons of this onion and lemon juice for breakfast. If you want, you can drink the same amount again in the afternoon.
- Drink this every day until you get rid of your cough.
Do you suffer from coughs on a normal basis? Do you have respiratory infections?
As you can see, there are several ways to enjoy the cleansing power of onions for these problems. If you’re fighting these symptoms, don’t wait. Try the treatment that stood out to you the most.