Two Healthy Fajitas Recipes
Healthy fajitas don't have to be made of vegetables. There are many other ingredients that you can add to them!
Originally, fajitas were prepared with beef. However, since they became really popular, a lot of recipes that incorporated all kinds of ingredients were created. Today, you can find plenty of healthy fajitas with chicken, seafood, fish, and vegetable fajitas, among others.
Preparing fajitas not only consists of rolling up several ingredients into tortillas. It’s about cooking the ingredients the right way so you don’t eliminate their nutrients.
In this article, we’ll share two healthy fajitas recipes.
1. Wheat Gluten and Tomato Healthy Fajitas
Wheat gluten is an excellent filler since it’s a food made from wheat protein. Also known as seitan or wheat meat, it’s said that it provides almost the same amount of protein as beef.
A hundred grams of wheat gluten contains 24 grams of protein, while beef contains 25 grams. Although the difference is minimal, wheat gluten is a lot easier to digest.
Also, wheat gluten can be prepared and seasoned in many different ways. You can fry it, bake it, grill it, etc. In the case of the healthy fajitas we’re going to show you how to make, you have to cook the wheat gluten in a regular frying pan, as you would a vegetable stir fry.
Ingredients (for four fajitas)
- 3 tomatoes
- Fresh parsley
- 1 large onion
- 2 ½ cups of wheat gluten (200 g)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green peppers
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour (240 g)
- Recommended dressing: Caesar dressing
- Seasonings: ground cumin, paprika, salt, pepper.
- Optional: 1 slice of semi-cured cheese for each fajita, 2 teaspoons of cream (30 ml), guacamole.
This article may interest you: How to Make Delicious Spanish Tortilla with Potatoes
- Heat the water in the microwave for two minutes.
- Place the whole wheat flour in a bowl and add the warm water little by little.
- Knead to form the dough. If it’s too dry, add some water and knead again.
- Preheat a non-stick pan. You don’t have to grease it.
- Pour some fajita dough (like if you were cooking crepes or pancakes) and let them cook well. Flip them over and let them cook on the other side. This shouldn’t take more than 2-3 minutes per fajita.
- Once your fajitas are ready, place them on a plate and cover them with a clean, dry cloth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil (30 to 45 ml).
- Chop the peppers and wheat gluten into julienne. Dice the tomato. Peel and cut the garlic into medium pieces.
- Cut the onions into rings and stir fry them in the pan. Before the onion begins to brown, add the peppers and wheat gluten.
- Once the onion has browned, add the chopped garlic and tomato. Let everything cook for a couple of minutes and season to taste. The peppers should be well done and crispy.
- Add some finely chopped parsley and let them cook for another minute. Then, remove from heat and assemble the fajitas.
- Use a spoon to add the filling. Finally, add some Caesar dressing or a couple of teaspoons of cream.
- Roll it up and pinch it with a stick so it doesn’t fall apart.
2. Sweet Corn and Mushroom Fajitas
Ingredients (for four to six fajitas)
- 3 tomatoes
- ⅓ cup of sweet corn (50 g)
- 10 or 12 sliced mushrooms
- Several lettuce leaves
- 3 or 4 medium carrots
- Optional: black pitted olives
- Recommended dressing: honey and mustard
- 4 to 6 precooked wheat flour tortillas
- Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon Mustard (10 g)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (15 ml)
- Optional: a pinch of salt
- First of all, make the dressing. To do this, place the honey in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for one minute. Add the other dressing ingredients and mix until they’re all well-incorporated.
- Drain the sweet corn and olives well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut the lettuce leaves into julienne. Peel and grate the carrots.
- Heat the tortillas in a non-stick pan until both sides are lightly browned.
- You can prepare your healthy fajitas with sliced mushrooms or you can also cube them and cook them in a pan for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once everything is ready, assemble the fajitas as follows. First, add the lettuce and the other ingredients. Finally, add some honey and mustard dressing, roll up, and serve.
You should definitely try out these healthy fajitas recipes today! You can make them in 15 minutes and they’re simply delicious. Serve them for any meal because they provide a lot of energy that will help you carry out your daily activities.