Tuscan Soup Recipe
Have you ever tried Tuscan soup? This typical Italian recipe is an irresistible dish that’s well worth trying.
The original name for it is zuppa toscana, which, in Italian, means “bread soup”. Although it has vegetables and some of the classic ingredients used to make these dishes, Tuscan soup also includes kale, bacon, and sausages.
Without a doubt, the combination of these ingredients makes for an exquisite dish. If you want to learn how to prepare it easily and quickly, read the article below.
Unlike other meals of this type, Tuscan soup is a filling dish. For this reason, it’s best to serve it as a main dish if you’re looking for a quick meal to prepare and to keep your guests satisfied. Although there are several versions and ways to prepare it, the one below is a classic and delicious one.
You may be interested in: How to Make Beet Soup
The recipe below will be enough for 5 or 6 people. You’ll need around an hour and 20 minutes at the most.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 cups of kale, washed.
- 1/3 cup of whipping cream.
- 1/2 kilo of Italian sausage.
- 2 cloves of garlic, or alternatively 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- 2 liters of chicken broth (can be homemade or powder diluted in 2 liters of water).
Step by step
- First, cook the sausages in a saucepan with water for around 25 minutes.
- Then remove from the heat, and cut them lengthwise into equal sized slices. Set them aside until ready to use.
- Next, chop the onion as small as you can and place it in a frying pan with a splash of olive oil. Cook over a medium heat and, when browned, add the bacon as well.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and then remove the bacon from the heat. Set it aside until they’re ready to use.
- Next, mince the garlic cloves, add them to the onion and cook again for a few more minutes. If you opt for garlic powder, moisten it with 2 teaspoons of water beforehand.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into equal sized slices.
- Next, add the homemade chicken broth or powder and the 2 liters of water and the sliced potatoes to the saucepan. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- After that, chop the bacon and kale into strips. Place them in the pan as well.
- Add the chopped sausage and cream. Mix well and cook for 4 more minutes.
With these steps, the Tuscan soup will be ready. All that’s left is to serve it and enjoy its exquisite flavour.
What should you keep in mind about this recipe?
Although this recipe is easy to prepare and extremely delicious, it isn’t advisable to consume too much of it. Certain aspects should be taken into account for some groups of people.
So, people who suffer from high blood pressure or high cholesterol, as well as those who need to avoid certain foods or want to watch their diet, are the ones who need to be cautious here. They should avoid or reduce all food prepared with bacon, sausages, or cream.
Regarding the points you’d need to consider, we can first mention that this soup has a high caloric intake, because the meat derivatives and cream used have a high amount of saturated fats.
Experts have also noted that these have a negative effect on the body, as they predispose people to the development of metabolic diseases. Among them we can mention obesity, cardiovascular pathologies and an increased risk of contracting several types of cancers.
In addition to the fats that sausages and cold meats are made with, these products are high in sodium and cholesterol. In this regard, it has been proven that they play a key role in the etiology of chronic degenerative diseases.
This is why international organizations, such as the World Health Organization, advise reducing the intake of fatty and processed foods to less than 10% of the daily intake.
Possible variations on the Tuscan soup recipe
Of course, as with any dish, there are alternatives to make a healthy or lower calorie version. For example, you can replace the bacon with other products. Some examples could be fakon (vegetarian bacon) made from soy, coconut or eggplant.
Fortunately, these variants have a similar taste and texture to real bacon. But, most importantly, they contain no cholesterol or saturated fat.
Another option that’s also helpful for cutting calories is to use reduced-fat whipping cream. Or, alternatively, combine it with Greek yogurt. In this way, it’ll provide a similar consistency to this ingredient and won’t increase the fat content.
On the other hand, some recipes use extra ingredients, such as spinach, beans, evaporated milk, butter, sugar, bread, or Parmesan cheese. By using these ingredients, you’ll be able to create different recipes, some healthier than others.
You might be interested in: Tlalpeno Soup Recipe
Cook this delicious Tuscan soup
Tuscan soup has a unique flavor, thanks to the combination of its ingredients. It stands out among any soup. You won’t regret trying to make it.
Don’t forget that you can make as many variations of this meal as you want and adapt it to your own personal style. It’s a matter of trying and testing.It might interest you...