Try This Easy Recipe for Creamy Lentil Soup
When we talk about legumes, generally, the first thing that comes to mind is soup. Today, we’ll show you an easy and delicious recipe for creamy lentil soup using basic ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. Ready to take notes?
Make Lentils a Part of Your Diet
The culinary world is all about innovation and creativity. Thus, if you’re tired of always cooking the same thing, we encourage you to expand on your cooking skills. Here at Step to Health, we try to stimulate your imagination by giving you a little push with some original recipes.
Legumes are one of the most recommended food by many nutritionists as they should be a part of a balanced diet. Furthermore, lentils are rich in:
- dietary fiber
- vitamins A, B, and E.
Lentils and Your Health
Lentils are a perfect addition to any weight loss diet because they make you feel truly full. Plus, even though they’re slowly digested, they improve intestinal flow and prevent constipation.
Among their many benefits, lentils:
- Are an excellent aid in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- Help control diabetes thanks to their high content of carbohydrates and fiber.
- Decrease bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood.
- Are one of the best options for people with anemia because they contain high amounts of iron.
- Have aesthetic properties that are ideal for skin care. (You can even mash them and use them as a moisturizing mask in order to take advantage of the effect of their vitamins in your skin.)
As for the dishes you can create with them, creamy lentil soups make excellent entrees. Thanks to the satiety that lentils provide, they’re a full meal in their own right.
There are no excuses not to cook with lentils. Start right now with this easy recipe for creamy lentil soup!
How to Make Creamy Lentil Soup
There are many types of legumes and grains, and you have the option to buy them whole or split. For this recipe, you’ll need split lentils, as it’s easier to attain a creamier texture with them.
Furthermore, we’ll give you some vegetable options to add in order to enhance the flavor of your creamy lentil soup. You may also add or replace some ingredients for others that you might like more. Remember that this recipe works as an entree and/or as a main dish. Additionally, it’s an excellent meal for vegans.
Discover: Iron Deficiency in Children
- 1 cup of lentils
- 1 onion
- ½ big carrot
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of beef broth (or water)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ leek
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- ½ tbsp of cilantro, for garnish
Read this article: Two Different Ways to make Bean Salad
- First, simmer the lentils in a large pot with the beef broth to soften them and obtain a better flavor.
- Meanwhile, cube the onion, tomato, and carrot, and saute them in a pan together with the garlic and the olive oil. Stir until the vegetables are golden and the onion is transparent.
- Then, add the saute to the lentils along with the cumin, salt, and pepper. You can use other types of spices if you wish.
- Afterward, let it simmer for at least 40 minutes. Then, cover it with a lid to speed up the process.
- After the 40 minutes have gone by, remove the pot from heat and let cool down.
- Finally, put everything in the blender, draining some of the broth. And then blend it until you achieve a creamy consistency.
- If it’s very thick, then add more broth. Moreover, the unused broth can be reserved for other recipes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with the coriander. You may also add a splash of olive oil and some croutons. Fried bacon or sausage may be added as an extra garnish.
Bon appétit!It might interest you...