Try These 5 Yoga Poses to Work Your Abs
Did you know that you can do different yoga poses to work your abs?
Although the goal of yoga isn’t to tone your body, doing yoga regularly works lots of muscle groups. In fact, it even helps you lose fat and tone your muscles. Therefore, in addition to traditional ab workouts, you can add in a series of asanas (poses) that are easy to do at home.
Yoga poses to work your abs
You don’t have to be a yoga expert to work your abs. However, you should start doing it carefully and gradually. A bad move could end with an injury.
Are you ready to give it a try?
1. Bhujangasana, or the Cobra Pose
The bhujangasana, better known as the cobra pose, is one of the best yoga poses to work your abs. So, if you want a flat and toned belly, don’t forget to do this for a few minutes a day.
How to do it
- First, lie face down on a yoga mat.
- Then, rest your hands on the floor under your shoulders, flexing your elbows.
- Slide your body upward using your insteps. Then, press your pelvis into the floor to arch your torso and head.
- Hold for 5 seconds and rest.
- Finally, do between 8 and 10 repetitions.
Check this out: Yoga Can Help Control High Blood Pressure
2. Kumbhakasana, or the Table Pose: One of the best yoga poses to work your abs
This pose is part of the yoga series “sun salutation.” It’s one of the most complete asanas because it works lots of muscle groups in your body. In fact, many of its parts are in regular exercise routines.
How to do it
- First, lie on your stomach on your yoga mat.
- Then, lift your body by stretching your arms so that you’re resting on your toes. The rest of your body should be straight.
- Next, contract your abs and buttocks for 15 seconds.
- Then, relax your body for 10 seconds and do it again.
- Repeat this at least 5 times.
3. Navasana Paripurna, or the Full Boat Pose
With this interesting yoga pose, you’ll work on your balance while working your abs. At first, it might seem hard, but with a little concentration and practice, you’ll get the hang of it.
How to do it
- To start, sit with your back straight and your legs straight out in front of you.
- Then, raise your legs together while bringing your back backward.
- Next, keep your arms straight in front, parallel to the ground to keep yourself stable.
- Hold this pose for up to a minute, then rest.
- Repeat this 3 times. If you have a hard time doing this, do 30 seconds, then 40, and so on.
4. Ustrasana, or the Camel Pose: One of the best yoga poses to work your abs
The camel pose, known as ustrasana in Sanskrit, is one of the best yoga poses to work your abs. Also, with practice, you’ll lose belly weight, gain balance, and above all, tone your muscles.
How to do it
- First, get on your knees on your yoga mat with your back straight. Your knees should be about hips; width apart.
- Then, support yourself with your toes, without the instep touching the mat.
- Stretch your arms forward, parallel to the mat and throw your body back. Keep your arms horizontal and squeeze your abdomen.
- Hold for 10 seconds, return to the original position, and do between 3 and 6 repetitions.
5. Dhanurasana, or the Bow Pose
With this pose, you’re helping both your abdominal muscles, as well as your lower back muscles. Therefore, this is great for toning your abs and decreasing back pain.
How to Do It
- First, lie on your stomach on the yoga mat.
- Then, lift your feet and stretch your arms back so that you can grab your ankles.
- Pull them forward, tightening your ab muscles.
- Hold the pose for 5 or 10 seconds and rest.
- Finally, do 8 or 10 repetitions.
Note: Remember to combine all these poses with leisurely breathing exercises. That way, you increase both your physical and mental benefits.
To conclude, don’t forget that these poses aren’t magic to shape your abdomen. To get good results, you need to be consistent. Most importantly, compliment them with a healthy diet.It might interest you...