Try These 7 Remedies for a Sore Throat
To alleviate a sore throat and accelerate recuperation, it's very important to stay hydrated. Drinking ginger tea, and being hydrated helps the pain and the congestion.
A sore throat can occur in the summer or the winter. Being exposed to constant brusque changes in temperature produces inflammation that can annoy us 24 hours a day.
This commonly causes the following:
• Infection of the tonsils or the pharynx
• Sleeping with the mouth open
• Breathing through the mouth
• Breathing contaminated air
Among the symptoms are burning, itching and discomfort when swallowing.
To reduce the discomfort caused by a sore throat, you can use some analgesics such as aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol.
However, you can combat theses symptoms with natural remedies that are not going to harm the stomach and will also alleviate the pain.
If the pain persists or if you have a fever it’s best to see a doctor.
Homemade Remedies for Sore Throat Pain
1. Gargle with salt water
This is one of the simplest ways to alleviate the pain of a sore throat. Salt helps to eliminate the bacteria, alleviate the pain and prevent infections in the respiratory tract.
• 1 cup of warm water (8 oz.)
• 1 t. of salt
• Mix both ingredients well and allow the salt to dissolve before gargling.
• Do this 2 or 3 times per day.
See this article: 5 Possible Signs of Nodes in the Throat
There are many cough drops or lozenges in the pharmacies that can alleviate the symptoms of a cold and soothe the throat.
Any one of these that contain ingredients such as mint, menthol or eucalyptus can help the pain.
They can also be honey drops, that stimulate the production of saliva and alleviate the pain of swallowing.
3. Camomile Tea
Camomile has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. These help to alleviate the symptoms of a sore throat.
• Prepare a cup of camomile tea
• When warm, wet a small towel and apply it as a compress to the neck.
• Let it sit until the compress is cold.
• You can repeat this as many times as you feel necessary to feel the effects.
We recommend: 6 Medicinal Properties of Camomile
4. Hot Compress on the Throat
Our grandmothers used to tell us to put a scarf or handkerchief on the throat to soothe the pain.
Hot cloths also help to lower the inflammation:
• Moisten a cloth with hot water, squeeze it out and place over the throat.
• The heat saturates the blood vessels and helps relax the muscles and alleviate the burning.
5. Ginger Tea
Ginger root can reduce inflammation of the throat, shorten the length of laryngitis, and alleviate burning and congestion.
It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. And, these properties can inhibit the growth of fungus, bacteria and other microorganisms that contribute to sore throat pain.
• 1 T. of ginger in powder form and 2 T. of grated ginger root.
• 1 C. of boiling water
• Prepare the tea, adding the ginger in a cup of boiling water.
• Let it brew for 5 minutes, strain and drink.
• Drink up to 3 cups per day to treat a sore throat.
6. Honey with Lemon
Honey is rich in vitamins and trace elements. It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and energizing properties. The lemon is rich in vitamin C and also has antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
The combination of these two natural products is excellent for alleviating throat issues.
• 1 C. of water
• 2 T. of honey
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• Boil the water and add the honey and lemon.
• Mix well and drink.
• This is combination is highly recommended and the most popular to treat sore throat pain.
Cloves contain a substance called eugenol, which eliminates pain and burning and has antibacterial properties.
• Simply put 1 or 2 cloves in your mouth and soften them with your saliva.
• You can chew them and then you can swallow them or remove them from your mouth. Both methods are effective.