Try these 6 Homemade Colitis Remedies
Did you know that carrots are one of the most effective remedies for colitis? They're fibrous and have anti-inflammatory compounds which help to alleviate pain and avoid the feeling of weakness. Learn more in this article!
Colitis is an illness caused by inflammation of the large intestine and the rectum.
This area, the lowest part of the intestine, presents changes in the mucous that coats it. In turn, this generates a chain of negative reactions that include intense pain and diarrhea.
Although colitis tends to be sporadic and subtle, many people have to seek medical help because it is chronic and recurring.
Estimates show that at least 60% of the affected patients are female. Most are under 40 years of age.
Up until now, there is not a cause that explains its appearance. Nevertheless, experts believe that it has to do with eating habits, genetics, or the effects of some medications.
Fortunately, there do exist some natural remedies that do not cause adverse effects. These can help relieve symptoms before other complications develop.
In this article, we want to talk about the 6 best remedies to take when you have colitis.
1. Natural yogurt
Yogurt is one of the best natural colitis remedies. This fortifies the intestine with live cultures that regulate its natural PH.
This group of healthy bacteria helps to generate lactic acid, a necessary substance for the optimal elimination of harmful toxins that inhabit this area of the body.
These qualities lend positive effects to the immune system. They do this by reacting to the infectious agents that invade the body.
What to do:
- Eat a cup of natural yogurt daily.
- Incorporate natural yogurt in your smoothies with fruits and vegetables.
2. Potato juice
The power of alkaline in potatoes is very effective in fighting ulcerous colitis and episodes of diarrhea.
It is rich in starches and natural fibers that contribute to improving intestinal activity. This controls irritation of the colon.
Potato juice calms abdominal pain and diminishes the accumulation of gas and acids.
How is it used?
- Grate a raw potato and rinse it in a colander. Drink the juice.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day
3. Rice water
Rice water that does not have seasoning of any time and is a probiotic remedy that helps regulate natural PH of the intestine.
Its starches decrease the irritation of the colon. Because of the the increase in healthy bacteria, they help to alleviate symptoms such as dyspepsia and gas.
Also, because of its vitamin and mineral content, it is one of the best ingredients to replace the nutrients lost due to diarrhea.
How to use it
- Boil two tablespoons of rice in a pot of water. When it reaches a boil, take it off the heat and allow it to soak.
- Once it reaches a comfortable temperature to consume, pour it through a colander and drink 1 or 2 glasses a day.
4. Flax seed water
Flax seed (also known as linseed) contains natural fibers and is a great ingredient for the treatment of intestinal problems.
Its nutrients, in conjunction with fatty acids and antioxidants, decrease inflammation and promote optimal elimination of waste.
- 1 tablespoon of flax seed
- 1 cup of water
How to use it:
- Put a tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of water and let it soak overnight.
- The following day, when it has a gelatin-like consistency, strain it through a colander and drink it.
- Drink a glass of this every day until symptoms are alleviated.
Carrots are rich in fibers and composed of anti-inflammatory compounds. When introduced into the intestine, they control pain and irritation.
They also contain probiotic properties, which means that they feed the bacteria that protects the colon.
Their nutrients help to avoid the susceptibility of the body to the chronic conditions of diarrhea and vomiting.
How are they used?
- Prepare carrot juice using a juicer.
- You can also boil them in water without salt, and prepare a puree when they’re soft.
- Consume once a day until the colitis is cured.
Bananas contain a type of fiber known a pectin. When absorbed by the intestine, it helps to balance PH to alleviate diarrhea and constipation.
Additionally, its high levels of magnesium and potassium contribute to the balance of electrolytes in the body, which almost always alters this condition and is one of the best colitis remedies.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mash the banana, mix with the honey and consume.
- You can also include bananas in your smoothies or eat pieces of banana throughout the day.
Do you suffer from colitus? Choose some of the colitis remedies and say goodbye to this bothersome problem!