Tricks for Odorless and Absorbent Towels
All you need are two natural ingredients like vinegar and baking soda. Vinegar helps to eliminate bacteria and softens the material, while the baking soda neutralizes odors and disinfects.
Surely it has happened to you more than once: you go to grab your towel after a shower and notice that it smells bad, or that when you try to dry yourself it hardly absorbs anything. Even new towels can have this problem that is so typical.
How can you get your towels to always smell good? What tricks are there so that they are softer and absorb all the moisture off of your body? In today’s topic we will give you some wonderful suggestions that are going to be very useful for you in your daily routine. Your showers and baths are now going to be much more pleasant.
The natural solution to get softer, odor-free and more absorbent towels.
Quite often when we purchase new towels or bathrobes we notice that they are rather coarse. Basically this is due to the tinting dyes that are used in their fabrication. For this reason many people prefer to put them in the washer with hot water first so that they come out a little softer.
The truth is that it doesn’t matter what material was used to produce your towels, whether American curl cotton terry cloth or another type of fiber, all of them at some point will retaining some of the moisture and end up smelling bad. But that’s not all. There is also the risk that this moisture will allow bacteria to appear. What can you do then? Don’t worry. Take note of these simple approaches.
What you will need
- 1 cup (250ml) of white vinegar (or distilled vinegar).
- 1/2 cup (125g) of baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate).
- Hot water
How to do it
- Use your washing machine. You can throw in new towels that you want to soften, or those you’ve had for a while that smell a little musty and that have stopped absorbing as much as they used to. Set your washer to the hot water option and pour in the cup of white vinegar which you have already diluted in a glass of water. Then let the washer go through a complete cycle. It is that simple!
- The next step is also very simple: Start a new cycle with hot water just like last time, but now you add the baking soda. It is important to not mix the two ingredients. Wait for the cycle to finish and then hang your towels up to dry. You’ll see the positive results you get!
Why is this method enough to get your towels to be more absorbent and have a pleasant smell?
Science can explain this simple remedy. At times we may trust more in commercial products such as detergents and fabric softeners, thinking that they are going to give us great results. But in reality we only get just the opposite. Too many chemicals, too many ingredients harmful to the fabric not only cause them to be less absorbent, but also wear them out faster.
- White vinegar: Contains acetic acid, which is fantastic for eliminating bacterium and the moisture retained in the cloth of the towels, at the same time softening the fabric.
- Sodium bicarbonate: As you already know, sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda is a naturally occurring element that is perfectly fit for daily cleaning chores, and is fabulous for disinfecting, for removing dirt and grease and for neutralizing odors. Its marvelous properties are, above all, due to it being a very effective alkaline, much more than any detergent.
Suggestions to keep your towels truly dry and with a pleasant odor
We are sure that you were already aware of many of these suggestions. But it never hurts to take into consideration just how we can care for our towels a little better. Think about the moisture that can start accumulating in them, and how that can result in an accumulation of dreaded bacteria and which later can produce allergies and unpleasant reaction that are worth avoiding.
Did you know?
- Bacteria loves moisture, so each time that you shower or take a bath, hang the towel up to somewhere so that it will dry completely. It isn’t necessary to wash it every time, but it is important that it dries completely without a trace of moisture. If it doesn’t dry out, then the bacteria appear along with the bad smells and the risks.
- You should take care to not use too much detergent when you wash them. What detergents end up doing, in actual fact, is allow chemicals to build up in the fabric of the towel, which in the long run makes it become coarser and prevents the fibers from absorbing water. So remember: use only enough detergent as needed.
- With regard to fabric softeners, we recommend that you use white vinegar instead. It is natural, and it softens the fabric of towels much better without producing any negative effects. The towel will last longer, will be more pleasant to the touch, and will continue to absorb water as it should. Keep in mind, for example, that you should take special care of clothing and towels used on infants and children. Instead of using chemical products like fabric softeners and detergents, use products with natural ingredients. You already know that baking soda, vinegar and even the lemon are perfect allies, and healthy for the daily cleaning of your home.
And you will be polluting less! Ready to put it into practice?