Tofu Dishes: Two Recipes to Try at Home
Tofu is a sort of vegan cheese made from soy milk. Thanks to this, any dishes you make with it are low-fat and packed with protein. Plus soy is also a great source of calcium and vitamins. For the most part, its egg-like flavor and texture are great for cooking it in pretty much any way you want.
Today, we’d like to give you a couple of simple recipes to try it out. They’re easy to make, have many health benefits, and are also delicious.
Give them a try!
Soy in all of its forms is widely popular among vegans and vegetarians. Tofu is made from soy.
However, its process is very similar to that of cheesemaking. Fortunately, the good news for some people is it doesn’t contain lactose so it’s a great choice for those who are intolerant to this type of disaccharide.
The benefits and limitations of tofu consumption
- To begin with, tofu is made from soybean, a legume, so it’s high in high-quality protein content. It contains all nine essential amino acids.
- Also, it contains essential fatty acids, vitamin E and lecithins needed to balance your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Also, it’s rich in calcium. It contains 159 mg per 100 grams. Plus, it also contains iron and zinc, among other minerals and vitamins.
- Similarly, its isoflavone content, together with the contribution of calcium and protein, makes it a highly suitable food to balance estrogen. So, its consumption is suggested to women undergoing menopause.
- Lastly, it’s rich in fiber and low in calories.
Generally, keep in mind that soy and all its derivatives also have high amounts of oxalate. So, consult your doctor about the amount you should have in your diet if your system likes to use the calcium oxalate to make kidney stones.
We recommend you read: The Benefits of Vegetable Milks and How to Prepare Them
Two tofu dishes
- 7 oz of tofu, cubed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 or 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Frying oil
- To begin with, make the marinade add the oil and garlic clove to a bowl and incorporate all the honey, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend it well.
- Also, add the tofu and let it marinate in the fridge for 4-5 hours. The longer you leave it, the more flavorful it’ll be. Additionally, turn it around at some point in between so it absorbs the marinade on all sides.
- Then, when the tofu is ready, place the flour and sesame seeds on a plate and roll the tofu in this mix, ensuring all sides get coverage.
- Also, heat a good amount of frying oil and then brown the tofu.
- Then, take it out and place on absorbent paper to get rid of the excess oil.
- Finally, you’re now ready to serve it with your favorite sauce or side dish. Enjoy!
We recommend you read: Three Recipes for Vegetarian Nuggets
Tofu dishes: burgers
- 9 oz tofu, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Red pepper
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs
- Frying oil
- First, fry the onion in a pan with a little hot oil until it’s soft and translucent, then set aside.
- Next, mix the tofu with the garlic and cilantro or parsley to a smooth mixture.
- Then, add the fried onion, egg, breadcrumbs, red pepper, and salt and pepper to your taste. Mix it well to get a dough with which you can make a patty.
- Now, bread the patties and fry them in hot oil.
- Finally, you’re ready to serve them next to your favorite side dish. You could also make a “classic” hamburger with them!
Tofu is such a versatile ingredient you can practically do anything with. There are so many recipes out there for casseroles, salads, meatballs, patties, and even desserts, and sweets. Check them out!