Three Rice Salad Recipes You've Got to Try
Rice is quite versatile and you can even use it as the base of a tasty salad. Here are three recipes to try at home.
Rice is great in both hot and cold dishes. Not only that, it has many important nutritional benefits. Why not add it to your diet, then? Stick around for some rice salad recipes!
We recommend you use brown rice in these recipes. This is because it provides greater nutritional properties. You can also use long rice as it has a nice texture and lightness, or basmati rice as it has a rather pleasant flavor and aroma.
Nutritional properties of rice and salad recipes
We’d like to make a brief review of the benefits of rice before showing you the delicious rice recipes we have for you today. The properties of rice vary depending on the type of rice.
White rice is obtained through a bleaching process in which the hull and outer layers are removed. Thus, this is why brown rice contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In addition, as a study published in the journal Antioxidants concludes, brown rice contains certain bioactive phytochemical compounds associated with some important nutrigenomic implications. Brown rice:
- Is a great source of energy due to its carb content so it fuels the body
- Has a high nutritional value because it’s high in minerals such as calcium and iron and is also rich in vitamins such as niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin
- Controls the appearance of diseases, for instance, it’s an anti-diabetic. According to a study published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE, its fiber and antioxidant properties protect the heart and help control blood pressure and cholesterol.
Check out this Brown Rice Salad, it’s Delicious and Low-Cal
1. Rice salad with figs and feta cheese
Look at how good rice looks in this recipe for Fig and Feta Rice Salad. It’s simple and quick to make and you’ll want to eat it often. The best thing about this salad is the balance of its ingredients and, of course, the fig when it’s in season.
Ingredients (For 4 portions)
- 11 oz long-grain rice
- 5 oz of feta cheese
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of mustard
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 8 figs
- Firstly, boil a pot of water and cook the rice in it. Drain it and cool it under the tap with cold water.
- Then, cut the feta cheese into cubes and also quarter the figs. Wash the spinach and drain it well.
- Also, prepare the vinaigrette by mixing the olive oil, honey, and mustard in a bowl with the help of some sticks.
- Then, mix it in a bowl along with the feta cheese, the figs, the vinaigrette, and the spinach leaves.
- Finally, distribute the salad in individual bowls and it’ll be ready.
2. Lettuce cubes with rice, lentils, and avocado
This recipe is ideal for making an easy, healthy, and tasty appetizer for any occasion. You can include this vegetable dish in a daily or festive menu; your guests will be more than satisfied.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 5 oz of cooked basmati rice
- 5 oz of cooked lentils
- 3.5 oz avocado
- 2 piquillo peppers
- 1/4 onion (optional)
- 2 heads of little gem or baby lettuce
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of sherry vinegar
- Sesame seeds
- Firstly, boil the rice and lentils in advance.
- Secondly, peel and chop the avocado into small cubes. Also, drain the piquillo peppers and cube them. Also, peel and chop the onion and add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Then, wash the leaves of the lettuce and drain them well. Also, prepare a classic vinaigrette with the extra virgin olive oil, the vinegar, and the salt, season the lettuce and fill the leaves with the above preparation.
- Finally, place the stuffed lettuce leaves on the plates and decorate them with sesame seeds.
Check out How to Make Rice Stuffed Artichokes
3. Smoked fish rice salad
Smoked fish, such as salmon and cod, are ideal for enriching salads. We’ve chosen to include them in a rice salad that also incorporates some very tasty smoked herring roe.
Ingredients (4 portions)
- 11 oz of brown rice
- 3 large sweet and sour pickled cucumber
- 8 radishes
- 1 peach
- 1 small bunch of fresh chives
- 8 slices of smoked salmon
- 8 slices of smoked cod
- 4 tbsp of smoked herring roe
- Freshly grated lime skin
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- A dash of soy sauce (optional)
- As in the previous recipes, you must first cook the rice and then let it cool down.
- Then, chop the pickled cucumbers into small cubes, wash the radishes, remove both ends and chop them too.
- Peel the peach, de-seed it, and cut it in the same way as the previous ingredients. Finely chop the chives and add all these ingredients into a bowl, together with the cold cooked rice, and mix well.
- Prepare the dressing with olive oil, the soy sauce, and the lime and mix all the ingredients, and beat it until emulsified.
- Finally, make some little rolls with the slices of salmon and smoked cod, place them on the rice, and spread the herring roe on top.
Are you looking for a different way to include rice in your diet? You’ll surely love these three rice salad recipes. As you can see, they’re quite tasty and perfect for hot days!