The Best Things You Can Make to Clean Your Blinds
When it's time to clean your blinds, it's important to keep in mind the material of the rag, since you can't treat everything with the same materials.
Sometimes, cleaning the house can drive us crazy. After all, each object and every surface requires a different treatment. In addition, there are specific cleaning products that need to be used. Cleaning well can be a difficult task, but if you know some tricks beforehand along with some cleaning techniques, you’ll use your time more efficiently and your house will stay spotless. In this article, we’ll show you the best things you can make to clean your blinds.
You probably get frustrated cleaning the blinds. After all, there are so many slots, and each blind is a different material. Therefore, we first want to show you how you can make your own tools to clean them well.
The Best Tools You Van Make to Clean Your Blinds
Deciding which material to use to clean your blinds will depend on the material of the blinds themselves
Blinds can be made of many different materials. Therefore, cleaning them requires specific treatment that depends on the material they’re made from. There are cleaners for wood, others for aluminum and other non-corrosive cleaners suitable for those made of plastic.
- Wood: We advise that you use the same products that are used to clean your wooden floors.
- Plastic: The ideal way to clean plastic blinds is to use a sponge with soap and water and scrub the blinds. This method works best if they don’t have a significant amount of dirt on them. If the blinds have a thick layer of dust and it’s difficult to remove, buy a de-greaser or dish soap. Rinse with a sponge of a damp cloth and dry the blinds after.
- Metal: Metal blinds tend to be more complicated because the grease adheres to the blind and creates a layer of sticky dirt. To clean metal blinds, mix water and alcohol and rub until the grease is gone. Dry the blinds well so dust spots don’t adhere again.
- Aluminum: If aluminum is the predominant material, you can make a homemade mixture using water and a few drops of ammonia. Do not use abrasive chemicals such as bleach or any similar chemical. Although those chemicals are great for other surfaces, they may destroy the aluminum without you even realizing it.
Take a look at this article: The 5 Best Cleaning Solutions Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
How to Clean Outdoor Blinds Efficiently
Blinds that are exposed to the outdoors have a two sides. Therefore, cleaning them on each side is complicated if the window is on an upper floor and we’re not able to access it from the outside. It’s cumbersome and can be very frustrating trying to clean them properly. Therefore, many people simply decide to not clean them on the outside.
If you do choose to clean them, however, we’ll list the best products to clean them safely and mention the most effective way to do so. You don’t have to put our life in danger: methods do exist to clean them safely.
The key to success lies in removing the drum cover. This general structure that is usually made of wood is where the shutter is rolled and covers the top of the window. This is usually screwed to the wall, so it is somewhat complicated to remove. However, it’s the safest way to clean the blind.
Once you’ve taken off the drum, you should clean each section slot. This can be a tedious or entertaining job, depending on how you look at it. Make sure that the blinds dry well to prevent dust from building up quickly.
Take advantage of the fact that you took apart the shutter to also clean the hold that it goes in. There is generally a lot of dust inside, and there could also be insects like spiders. Don’t forget to clean the frame, the windows and the guides of the windows.
Check out this article: Great Ways to Disinfect Your Bedroom Naturally
The Best Tools to Clean Blinds
Cleaning the blinds can be difficult because it’s difficult to reach the entire surface. After all, there will always be edges that we can’t reach because they overlap.
The following are items we suggest keeping on hand to clean them perfectly:
- A special brush for Venetian blinds. This item has a handle and several elongated pieces that can make their way in to the holes.
- Vacuum cleaner. A vacuum will easily remove the dust.
- A microfiber cloth is essential to trap dust effectively. They don’t leak or stain other surfaces around the house.
- Multi-use cleaner. Multipurpose products can be used to clean any type of surface in the house. For this reason, they’re convenient to have on hand.
- Duster. Dusters can be your secret ally for this task. They can go between the slits and remove dust easily.
Make Your Own Cleaning Items at Home
You can also make your own cleaning items to make the job easier. Here are some ideas:
- Connect two sponges using a powerful magnet to clean both inside and outside blinds.
- Tie a microfiber cloth to a mop stick to reach high places.
- Use a sock that you don’t wear as a dusting glove. It’s more comfortable that using a cloth and allows you to get in to areas better.
- Make your own cleaner for your blinds.Depending on the material of the blinds, use ammonia, alcohol or dishwasher detergent. You can make it smell good using herbs, essential oils or drops of lemon.
A Final Note
As you can see, cleaning blinds is no easy task. However, it’s not impossible, either. It just requires time and dedication.
Ask your family to help you so it isn’t so trying: it will be more comfortable and fun for everyone.