The best home for everyone: building a family
It’s wise to make all members of our household to feel confident and free. This allows them the ability to express their thoughts and emotions. And it’s even better when they aren’t afraid of being judged. Discover how to create the best home for everyone.
The best home is not defined by certain rules. Every family is different. Thus, every home is different. Still, a home is a place where people should feel safe, respected and valued.
A home is a space where many kinds of dynamics take place. Among these dynamics, the most important should be respect, reciprocity, and emotional intelligence. Using these dynamics proactively helps to build happy and meaningful bonds.
As Virginia Woolf noted in one of her personal diaries:
“A house is like a fortress. Once you close the doors and windows, no one knows what takes place inside” – Virginia Woolf.
Now, we all know a household where the dynamics aren’t as good. Sometimes, the dynamics make family members unhappy. Because of this, it is necessary to promote a healthier, more intuitive kind of “energy” at home.
In our best home, we respect and care for everyone
A home can be shaped by many different bonds. These can be the couple, children, siblings, and, from time to time, older generations such as grandparents.
It is never easy to bring everyone together. There are different dynamics, interests, and personal needs. At the same time, there is also a difference in power. This power comes from the need to protect, discipline, and strengthen family bonds.
The way we carry out our roles determines the atmosphere. We can create homes where there is a feeling of well-being and happiness. Or, on the other hand, our homes can be a place where individuals can’t grow as they should.
Here we accept all opinions
There is also something that is always difficult for each family. Hence, it’s never easy getting to the point where everyone respects each other’s opinions, thoughts, and decisions. Because of this, you should keep in mind the following:
- Problems appear the moment someone wants to impose their values on everyone else. This is especially true when they start to veto anything different from their standard.
- A respectful home is one that listens to all opinions and freedom to speak exists. This is a house where give and take is a reality for everyone. And all can speak freely there.
This doesn’t mean that everyone has to agree. It’s enough for everyone to listen, respect, and have confidence in each other.
In the best home, we rely on and take care of everyone
In a family, there shouldn’t be differences. Everyone should be regarded as equals.
Each individual is the way they are, and they think what they think. Thus, there should be certain differences in the way we discipline our children. We also need to avoid using stereotypes with anyone, but especially young people.
- We need to avoid a common mistake when we have multiple children. Not all children grow the same way. Some mistakes should be forgiven when a child is really young, and as they grow up, more responsibility should be given. Small house chores are a great way to give children a sense of responsibility.
- While we should discipline with equality, we also need to attend to children’s individual needs.
In our home, we say what we feel
In a happy home, there is freedom of expression. Also, there is respect for all members of the family.
This promotes adequate emotional freedom and healthy assertiveness. That way, we can all say what the issue is when something bothers us. When thinking maybe your family is straying from the way of the best home, ask yourself this:
- There are homes in which there’s never a good time to talk. Is yours one of these?
- Sometimes, the reason we don’t talk to each other is because of a lack of time. Still, more often it’s because we’re afraid of our words constantly being judged. Is your household a safe place to express opinions?
Remember, in a respectful house, everyone should feel comfortable talking about their emotions. It’s true that we don’t talk enough about public displays of affection, such as hugs. And we all know that these shows of affection aren’t comfortable for most of our children.
The most important thing is that they show you an emotional closeness. This can be by expressing to you their thoughts and worries.
The best home is one where love and respect are present for everyone. It doesn’t matter if it’s a tree house, a caravan, or even a tiny apartment.