Amazing Health Benefits of Bananas
Bananas give us a lot of energy during the day but we shouldn’t eat them at night, because we won’t be burning off their calories.
Delicious, nutritious and filling, bananas are an ideal daily snack, but can have some unwanted effects if not properly incorporated into your diet. Learn how to maximize the many natural health benefits of bananas today! In this article, we’ll provide some of the most interesting nutritional facts about bananas and some advice on how to use it to lose weight rather than gain it.
A 100 gram banana contains about 100 calories, 1 gram of protein, 25 grams of hydrocarbons and less than 1 ounce of fat. It also boasts 3 grams of fiber.
Bananas are rich in vitas B6 and C, folic acid and minerals such as magnesium and postassium.
Bananas are rich in starch
Although bananas are considered a healthy fruit, their nutritional characteristics place it firmly in the starch category with potatoes, cereals, flours and peanuts. Knowing this will help you ensure you are incorporating bananas into your diet in a healthy way and with other foods that help you make the most of their nutritional value.
When should you eat bananas?
Starches give your body energy but are also notorious for being digested slowly, and therefore are not a recommended late-night snack or dinner, since they can cause weight gain instead of weight loss. Everything you consume during the evening and night hours should be light and easily digested.
But for a breakfast meal, starches are an excellent addition, since they provide energy that lasts throughout the day.
There are also two ideal times of day to eat bananas: mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Just when those hunger cravings hit, you should be reaching for a banana rather than that extra fattening donut or cookie. To feel satisfied and full without the huge sugar intake, try a banana. And besides, who can resist a tasty, cool and easily transported fruit snack?
We also recommend that you keep your intake to a single banana a day, precisely because they contain such complex nutritional characteristics.
Health benefits of bananas
Eating a banana a day can help you take advantage of these natural health benefits:
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Regulates intestinal problems
- Reduces muscle cramps
- Provides a quick energy boost, making it an excellent choice for active youngsters or to help prevent and treat fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Regulates nervous system and targets anxiety and irritability
- Naturally treats anemia
- Reduces hypertension
- Reduces risk of stroke
- Acts as a natural antacid
- Reduces nausea and vomiting during pregnancy
- Helps manage ulcers
- Alleviates menstruation cramps and pains
- Helps reduce tobacco cravings
- For pregnant woman it not only helps with nausea but helps regulate the digestive system, provides energy without weight gain and is high in folic aicd
How to eat bananas
You’re only limited to your imagination and the amount of fresh and ripe banana you have on hand. Eating green bananas can be hard on your digestive system. Try a few of the following suggestions for incorporating bananas into your diet.
- Add to shakes for a creamy and sweet taste. If you’re looking to hide those healthy but less palatable fruits and vegetables, do so by combining with bananas.
- Make banana ice cream by peeling extra ripe bananas and freezing them. Once frozen blend with your favorite brand of natural yogurt. Eat right away or store in your freezer for later. Add chocolate or your favorite topping.
- Use in lieu of sugars to add flavor and moisture to your cookies or other baked goods.
- Bake them with cinnamon for a quick handy snack.
- Create a chocolate spread by smashing ripe bananas with a fork and mixing with your preferred cacao to create a healthy spread that’s lactose, sugar and flour free.
Images courtesy of juantigues and sidehike.