The 10 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Kidney Stones
An unhealthy lifestyle (as well as other factors, such as genetics) can lead to the appearance of all kinds of different health problems, including kidney stones. So, when you start the course of treatment prescribed by your doctor, it’s important to also adopt a more healthy lifestyle.
The kidneys are a pair of organs located below the rib cage on either side of the spine. In order for them to function correctly, it’s important to maintain a balanced diet, good hydration and avoid overindulging. Otherwise, it could lead to the formation of kidney stones.
Very small calcium deposits are known as kidney sand, while larger deposits are known as kidney stones or renal calculi.
It’s important to consult with your doctor, who will arrange a series of tests to confirm the diagnosis of kidney stones, and devise a treatment plan to help get rid of them.
Home remedies to eliminate kidney stones
Kidney stones don’t usually require complex or invasive treatment. In most cases, you’ll simply need to adopt some simple measures, such as good hydration.
Drinking water is the number one recommendation for getting rid of kidney stones. It’s very important to keep the body hydrated because not consuming enough water is one of the main causes of kidney stones.
- Water helps clean the urinary tract and promotes proper kidney function. You don’t necessarily need to drink 1/2 gallon a day, but try to drink enough so that your urine is clear in color. This is a good indication that your body is well hydrated.
- In some cases, a doctor may recommend increasing your intake of water, so it’s important to follow their instructions carefully.
If you don’t want to rely solely on water (although it is the best option), there are some alternative drinks which, according to popular belief, can help to eliminate kidney stones. One such drink is dandelion tea.
- A cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of dandelion (10 g)
How do you make it?
- Boil the water, add a tablespoon of dandelion and boil for 10 minutes.
- Then, let the infusion sit for 5 more minutes and drink.
Another drink which can keep you hydrated and even help you pass kidney stones out through your urine is pomegranate juice, which is full of antioxidants.
Just like pomegranates, cucumbers are rich in water, and can stimulate urination and help eliminate kidney stones. Cucumber juice is a refreshing drink that’s great to have with breakfast or an afternoon snack. You can also add a touch of honey to give it a more pleasant taste.
According to popular culture, this plant helps get rid of kidney stones quickly and effectively. To make this remedy, you have to prepare an infusion.
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 4 tablespoons of horsetail (40 g)
How do you make it?
- In a liter of boiling water add 4 tablespoons horsetail.
- Let it infuse for 5 minutes and then filter.
- Drink 1 to 3 cups a day.
Visit your doctor
If you want to get rid of kidney stones, it’s essential to follow the instructions given to you by your doctor. These home remedies should be taken as a complementary measure, and never as the main source of treatment.
Kidney stones are not to be taken lightly. If they are not treated quickly, the situation can quickly worsen, leading to more serious consequences.
As a preventative measure, don’t forget to go for a medical check-up.It might interest you...