Ten Unfailing Tips to Prevent Puffiness and Dark Circles
Doing a quick massage on your eye contours can produce drainage and circulation that can help get rid of that tired look that's caused by puffiness and dark circles.
In order to prevent puffiness and dark circles around your eyes, it’s important to have a healthy lifestyle. Even though applying cosmetic products help reduce this problem, other measures are required in order to prevent them from reappearing constantly.
These imperfections are the result of fluid retention, hormonal changes, and unhealthy habits. At the same time, people often don’t pay that much attention to this area of the face when they do their regular beauty routine.
Even though nothing bad ever seems to happen, many people seek methods to eliminate them because they make the face look tired, sick, and older. Fortunately, there are simple tips to make it possible for you to give your face a better appearance.
What Causes Puffiness and Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
Before you read the following tips to prevent puffiness and dark circles, it’s worth reviewing their main causes. Given that some of them are connected to an individual’s lifestyle, it would be good to consider ways to prevent them from appearing so they stop making any further changes on your eye contours.
- Spots due to excessive melanin or exposure to the sun (hyperpigmentation)
- Abrupt hormonal changes
- Taking medications such as cortisone and the vasodilators
- Lack of sleep or waking up as you sleep
- Rubbing your eyes too hard
- Fluid retention or edema
- Thyroid diseases such as hypothyroidism
- Nutrient deficiency
- Premature aging
Read this article, too: What Face Wrinkles Mean and How to Prevent Them
Tips to Prevent Puffiness and Dark Circles
In order to respond to the need for preventing puffiness and dark circles, the cosmetic industry has developed a wide variety of creams that cover delicate skin. On the other hand, they have also been designed professional treatments that consist of lasers or pulsed lights.
However, there are several optional recommendations that allow you to control them naturally without burning a hole in your pocket. In fact, it’s a good idea to apply them as a complement to any type of treatment. Put them into practice!
1. Sleep well
Having a good quality of sleep is a determining factor for keeping your skin in good condition. Therefore, if your goal is to prevent puffiness and dark circles, you must make sure you get enough hours of sleep.
- Try getting around 7 and 8 daily hours of sleep without any interruptions. If you have difficulty sleeping, drink a relaxing infusion and find out for yourself how much more comfortable your sleep will be.
2. Always wash off your make-up
A fundamental step to looking good and keeping your face is removing your makeup every night before going to bed. Although cosmetic products help you look good during the day, leaving it on during the night will end up causing dark circles and imperfections to build upon your face.
- Rub some almond essential oil on your skin to help remove the makeup.
- Also, if you’d prefer, try using a cream or milk cleansers.
3. Limit your salt intake
Having a high sodium diet is one of the obstacles to prevent puffiness and dark circles around your eyes. This is due to the fact that sodium retains liquids, which increases swelling and decreases circulation.
- Instead of using salts in your foods, use herbs and spices such as oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and turmeric.
- Also, check the labels of food products and avoid those that have too much sodium.
Check out this article, too: Which types of salt are the healthiest?
4. Eat green vegetables
Green leafy vegetables are very beneficial for your skin’s health. This is because they can help optimize the oxygenation process to prevent your eye contours from swelling. By the way, they’re antioxidants that prevent premature aging.
- Add more greens vegetables into your diet by making salads or smoothies. Eat them raw to get 100 % of their nutrients.
5. Increase your water intake
Dehydration can lead to the development of several alterations in the skin of your face. In addition to causing dryness, it can increase the weakening of tissues and produces imperfections such as dark circle and crow’s feet.
- Drink around 7 to 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
- If you prefer, make herb and fruit infusions or juices.
6. Eat citrus fruits
Citrus fruits and other sources of vitamin C can help increase the production of collagen. This substance not only prevents wrinkles from appearing but also keeps the delicate skin on the eye contour firm.
- Don’t think twice about consuming more oranges, grapefruits, lemons and other citrus fruits in your regular diet.
- If you want to, you can drink them as a juice or add them into smoothies.
7. Use sunscreen
The impact of the sun’s UV rays is a major cause of hyperpigmentation in the area around your eyes. It also weakens the tissues and causes wrinkles to appear.
- Use sunblock or sunscreen.
- For extra protection, wear sunglasses every day.
8. Massage the area around your eyes
Doing a quick massage with your fingertips can produce lymphatic drainage to reduce these imperfections. It’s ideal to supplement it with some essential oil or cream because this will enable a better stimulation of the circulation.
- Apply several drops of coconut or almond oil on your eye contours and rub it gently with circular motions by using your fingertips.
- Do it every night before bed.
9. Use cucumber slices
Cucumber is still the classic remedy to prevent puffiness and dark circles. Due to its anti-inflammatory and refreshing properties, this vegetable corrects these alterations and helps you look new again. It also acts as a soother and decreases potential irritations in the area.
- Cut several slices of cucumber and put them in the freezer.
- Then, when they’re cold, put them on top of your eyes as you keep them closed for 5 minutes.
Exercise itself doesn’t get rid of dark circles. However, doing it on a regular basis does promote good circulation and helps reduce swelling. These effects improve the oxygenation of the skin and allow you to keep your face with a healthy appearance.
- Exercise at least 20 minutes a day.
- If you can’t go to the gym, do a routine at home or do alternative activities such as dancing or bike riding.
Have you noticed your face looking tired due to puffiness and dark circles appearing constantly? Follow these tips and say goodbye to these imperfections! Even though they might not disappear miraculously, they gradually minimize the symptoms.