How to Tame Frizzy Hair with Natural Products
One of the most common problems for people of any age is getting frizzy hair, especially on very humid days. While there are plenty of products available in stores to fight frizz, you can take advantage of natural and homemade recipes, along with some recommendations. Find out more in the following article.
Frizzy hair can happen for several reasons. The most common one is dryness or lack of hydration, but other causes are thermal stress from heat, the overuse of dyes, or having naturally dry or porous hair.
Homemade treatments to prevent frizzy hair
- Mash a ripe banana and add one tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of sunflower oil. Mix well and then apply it to the hair. Leave on for half an hour and then wash your hair as usual, but don’t use a hair dryer – let it “air dry.”
- Mix a quarter cup of olive oil with a raw egg. Apply this to the hair after washing it, or at least wet it first. Leave on for 30 minutes and wash hair again. Olive oil is a great emollient that helps moisturize the strands, while eggs contain lecithin, which is an amino acid used to repair tissues and create new cells.
- Mash a ripe banana with the flesh of an avocado. Apply the paste to damp hair, and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing. Wash hair as usual. Bananas contain lots of antioxidants that help repair hair, and avocados contain fatty acids that are ideal for nourishing hair.
- Mix a cup of mayonnaise (homemade or store brand) with half an avocado. Apply to hair and let sit for at least half an hour, wrapping the head in a damp towel and covering with a plastic bag or hot cap. Afterwards, wash hair as usual.
- Rubbing a raw egg into hair helps tame frizz. Massage it thoroughly into the scalp and any areas that are especially unruly. Leave it in for 15 minutes before washing with your normal shampoo and conditioner.
- Mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with a liter of water and shake well. Work the mixture into dry hair before washing it. This is a natural alternative to other treatments and it not only helps eliminate frizz, but it also adds shine.
- Use any natural or essential oils, like coconut oil or almond oil. These nourish the hair and also make it smell delicious. Wash your hair normally and when it’s semi-dry, work a few drops of oil through the hair and scalp. Olive oil is another option that may be more readily available if you already have it at home, but it doesn’t add a fragrance.
- Massage a tablespoon of pure honey into your hair. It’s a great natural conditioner and has a very sweet smell. You can also mix it in with essential oils and apply to the hair, leaving it in for 10 minutes. After either treatment, rinse with cold water and then wash as usual.
- You can even use carbonated water or club soda. After washing your hair normally, give it a final rinse with some warm carbonated water.
- Mix a cup of plain yogurt with the blended pulp of a medium to large cucumber. Apply this to the hair and leave it on for about half an hour. Rinse with warm water, untangling the hair with your fingers.
- Combine a cup of coconut milk, two tablespoons of honey, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the mashed pulp of an avocado. This mask is very nourishing for hair – once you apply it, leave it in for 30 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Wash as usual.
- Mix a can of coconut cream with four tablespoons of lemon juice. While hair is clean and dry, apply this mask and cover your hair with a shower cap for at least one hour to let the ingredients take effect (feel free to do other activities in the meantime). Wash with your normal shampoo and conditioner, and repeat this twice a week.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a tablespoon of your favorite conditioner. You can do this every time you wash your hair.
Recommendations to prevent frizzy hair
- Choose high quality hair products – try not to spare any expense. Some products are made especially for fighting frizz, but be sure to avoid the ones that contain alcohol.
- Always wash your hair with warm, lukewarm, or cold water – never use hot water because it can dry out hair even more.
- After washing, be sure to towel try your hair and apply a moisturizing cream before combing it, and then let it air dry.
- Don’t use accessories like clips and ties because they can damage and break hair strands. Also, don’t style your hair too tightly, and always sleep with your hair loose.
- It’s best to use wooden brushes, as plastic or metal brushes and combs can produce more static electricity.
- Avoid using curling irons and hair dryers. If you must use a hair dryer, use it sparingly and always keep it 12 inches away from the scalp.
- Try not to wash your hair every day because it opens the pores and causes frizz almost “magically.” While you should of course shower every day, resist the temptation to wash your hair more than every other day, or once every two days.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article on how to tame frizzy hair with these natural products and home remedies!