What Are the Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
Magnesium is an indespensible mineral for human nutrition that has a role in various body functions. The following shows symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
Magnesium is a necessary mineral for human nutrition that fulfills various very important functions in our body. In fact, tt is not always possible to diagnose magnesium deficiency, as it does not appear in blood tests, though it is one of the most important nutrients for our health.
In this article, we will explain the symptoms of magnesium deficiency, as well as its functions, food that contains it, and supplements we can take.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
If we have at least two of these symptoms, we can take a magnesium supplement and we will see an improvement.
- The appearance of diseases such as arthritis and joint pain
- Muscle troubles like cramps, spasms, numbness, and tremors
- Abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms
- High blood pressure
- Headaches and jaw tension
- Spasms in the eyelids, stomach, and intestine
- Tingling around the mouth
- Also, difficulty adapting to light, flashes of light with closed eyes
- Tiredness when waking up in the morning
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Chest pressure and difficulty breathing deeply
- Difficulty swallowing and a sensation of a knot in the throat
- Hypersensitivity to noise
- Salt and chocolate cravings
- Nervous system disorders: insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity, unrest, panic attacks, phobias
Positive Effects of Magnesium
- Relaxes and increases the flexibility of the muscles: magnesium is vital for athletes
- Strengthens the heart muscle
- Also, it balances the nervous system: especially in cases of stress, depression, anxiety
- Improves your sleep
- Helps create collagen, fundamental for the skeleton, tendons, and cartilages
- Slows prostate inflammation
- Relieves pain
- In fact, it helps absorb and fix calcium, and in cases of osteoporosis, cavities, etc. it would be beneficial to take magnesium, especially if we are already taking calcium supplements, so they are balanced. An excess and overuse of just calcium can be harmful to the health.
- Magnesium restores proper pH levels. An unbalanced body is acidic due to bad habits, poor nutrition, contamination, stress, etc.
- Increases insulin production, facilitating the consumption of sugar
- Helps control cases of asthma.
- Reduces epileptic attacks
Read more: 8 Signs That You Have A Magnesium Deficiency
Natural Sources of Magnesium
- Cacao: Pure dark chocolate has almost 500 mg of magnesium in 3.5 oz
- Green leafy vegetables: Swiss chard, lettuce, spinach, parsley
- Fruits: Bananas, apricots, avocados, peaches, plums, apples
- Dried fruits: Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts
- Legumes: Peas, lentils
- Cereal: Brown rice, millet, oatmeal
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Wheat germ
- Brewer’s yeast
In addition, we can prepare smoothies or shakes with green leaves, apple, banana, alfalfa sprouts, and sweeten them with a little honey. In fact, if we drink these daily, in a short time we will notice an overall wellness.
Read more: Magnesium, a Complete Mineral
Due to the poor quality of the soil, these days foods do not contain as many minerals as before. If we have symptoms that indicate a lack of magnesium in our body, we recommend taking a natural supplement.
- Magnesium chloride: avoid this one if you suffer from acidity. If the taste is too bitter, it can be taken in capsules.
- Magnesium citrate: if gastrointestinal issues are common or if the other magnesium supplements are not well tolerated, this is the most appropriate. Your body can absorb it very efficiently.
- Magnesium carbonate: it has a high alkalizing potential.
Also, we will take 300 mg of magnesium every day, orally, divided if possible into three separate doses. Therefore, the body will absorb them properly.
- If we want to achieve immediate relaxation effects y at the same time revitalize our body, we can prep are a bath of magnesium sulfate, also known as Epsom Salt. These baths can be a big relief in cases of arthritis, and joint pains. Will will put 100 grams in hot water in a bathtub and bathe for thirty minutes. We will repeat during nine consecutive days and then spread them out to one bath a week.
Finally, before taking any supplement, we recommend that you consult your physician. Especially if suffering from a disease or if you are taking medication.
We hope you liked this article, for more information on health and remedies click below!