Symptoms of 5 Illnesses Common in Women
We should learn to identify possible symptoms of diseases in order to be able to get an early diagnosis. This allows us to fight these common illnesses in their first phases. Identifying these symptoms may be a deciding factor for effective treatment.
There are a series of illnesses that are most common in women that we should know about. We all know that we are often more responsible for the health of those around us than for our own wellbeing and this is something that we should be aware of.
At the same time, our own lifestyle determines the appearance of certain ailments. Daily concerns, stress, and failure to get regular medical checkups can result in serious problems at times.
In this article we are going to suggest something very simple and vital: take care of yourself, listen to yourself, and prioritize. Taking care of yourself is not being selfish. Caring for oneself is valuing yourself which we deserve in order to be happy and be able to give the best to those around us.
Here we ask you to learn about these 5 illnesses common in women and their symptoms.
Migraines, headaches that begin in adolescence.
According to data from the World Health Organization, (WHO) migraines affect twice the number of women than men. Also, the pain lasts longer and appears with more frequency throughout a month’s time.
Migraines are possibly the ailment most common in women. Actually, the majority of traditional medications that affect the arteries are of no use to alleviate the pain of migraines.
- Migraines have nothing to do with hormones nor with stress.
- Current data shows that the cause of migraines is hypersensitivity of the nerve fibers.
- Besides having a genetic component, it’s known that the central nervous system has something to do with this illness. There are experiments currently being carried out for more effective treatments.
- Migraines occur very early in females. In fact, it is common to find girls suffering from them at 11 years of age.
- The pain is intense and throbbing and is concentrated on one side of the head. It causes dizziness, vomiting and includes visual hallucinations.
- This type of headache is continuous and occurs 4 times a month. Sometimes it will disappear after a number of years.
2. The most common allergies in women
It may seem odd, but allergies are more common in women than men. We don’t always pay much attention when the symptoms aren’t very serious.
Intolerance to gluten, as well as barley and rye, are more common among women as well. This is so prevalent that according to the Celiac Disease Foundation almost 70% of those affected are women.
- It is also advisable to take into account that women have the most contact with chemical products. We suffer the majority of our allergic reactions from cosmetics and home cleaning products.
What symptoms should we look out for?
- Be careful of how your skin and eyes react each time you apply certain cosmetics.
- Dry throat and constantly watering eyes frequently occur when an allergy exists.
- Also pay attention to your digestion. At times, discomfort, gas, and constant swelling after eating can be signs of some type of intolerance.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome, one of the most common conditions in women
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is an ailment of the digestive process that causes pain and inflammation. It also alternates between constipation and diarrhea and is incapacitating for hours.
Up to this point the exact causes of irritable bowel are unknown. It is observed that it does occur in periods of extreme stress, when we are nervous, and when there are hormonal changes.
Be aware of theses symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- It occurs for the first time between 15 and 25 years of age.
- It is not a simple disease and is not poor digestion nor gastritis. There is intense pain in the area of the colon which spreads throughout the abdomen.
- We experience vomiting, gas, and a very intense burning sensation. The pain comes and goes and can last for a couple of days.
4. Breast cancer
Breast cancer is another one of the illnesses that is most common in women. However, you should be aware that in the last few years, cases of lung cancer and colorectal cancer have also been on the increase. Never put off having your periodic exams.
What symptoms should we be aware of?
Pay attention to your breasts. Many of us learn to palpitate our breasts briskly searching for small lumps. Nonetheless, we forget the other indicator: the small dimples.
Most important is to examine the form of the skin in search of any change. They may be small protuberances, strange textures, colors or hollow areas.
- Also, if there is breast cancer in your family you should begin exams before the age of 40 years old. After the age of 40 you should get mammograms periodically.
Depression, a faithful companion at certain times
According to the World Health Organization, depression affects 350 million people each year in the entire world, women in great numbers.
Depression is a silent illness that occurs in certain times of our lives. There is an aspect of this that we should remember:
- Women have the best psychological strategies to fight depression. They seek help before men do, can find emotional relief, and can express their problems. They can also communicate better by opening themselves up to others.
Symptoms of depression
- Lack of energy
- Constant bad mood
- Recurring sadness and constant negative thoughts
- Sleep disorders
- Physical and muscular skeletal pain