Five Home Remedies for Allergic Rhinitis
Do you have allergic rhinitis? This is a condition sustained by a large part of the population. In fact, it causes annoying symptoms that range from inflammation of the nasal mucous membranes to congestion, sneezing, and nasal blockage.
Thus, breathing becomes difficult and the inflammation can even affect the eyes. This is known as “rhinoconjunctivitis.” Behind it is a pathogen to which some people are allergic. Thus, the body defends itself with symptoms that usually last for days or weeks when inhaled.
So, if you have allergic rhinitis, then you may know the cause is a germ you’re allergic to. It’s all a consequence of inhaling pollen or a speck of dust because your body reacts with a number of symptoms that usually last days or even weeks.
Also, note that rhinitis can occur with the common cold. However, allergic rhinitis tends to occur more intensely at certain times of the year and to last more days than a common cold.
You must figure out the cause of this condition before focusing on relieving the symptoms. To do so, you must consult a specialist who can conduct the relevant allergy tests.
Once they identify the pathogenic agent causing the disease, you must follow the guidelines they prescribe. Even so, remedies might help mitigate the symptoms on a daily basis.
Home remedies against allergic rhinitis
Popular wisdom indicates the following home remedies may be useful to relieve the discomfort caused by allergic rhinitis. You must know these aren’t a substitute for what the doctor prescribes but a complement if the professional authorizes it.
1. Eat garlic in the morning to prevent and treat rhinitis
First of all, know that garlic is one of the best natural antibiotics available. The reason it can help to relieve the symptoms associated with rhinitis is it contains quercetin, a flavonoid with multiple medicinal properties. A study published in the journal Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy has more information about this.
Garlic has antibacterial and antiviral properties, according to a publication of the journal Medicentro Electrónica, so it could be helpful in strengthening the immune system. To do so:
- Firstly, eat a garlic clove every day on an empty stomach
- Chew on some mint leaves afterward, you don’t have to swallow them in order to prevent garlic breath
- Finally, include garlic powder in your dishes, it’s a good substitute for salt
Do you know What are the Health Benefits of Garlic?
2. Nettle infusion
This infusion is antihistaminic and anti-inflammatory so it helps relieve allergic rhinitis, as evidenced by this research published in the Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. It’s one of the classic remedies for seasonal allergies within alternative medicine.
As a result, you’ll get relief from the itching, sneezes, and a runny nose by consuming nettles.
- 1 c. of water
- 1 tsp. of dried nettle
- Firstly, bring the water to a boil, and add the nettle
- Let it steep for 20 minutes
- Finally, strain it and sweeten it with a bit of honey
- Drink this remedy twice a day
Check out these Five Remedies for Allergic Rhinitis
3. Apple cider vinegar with honey and lemon
Mixing honey, lemon, and apple cider vinegar can help relieve the symptoms of allergic rhinitis due to the antibiotic and antihistamine properties of this blend. At least according to this information from the DSP Scientific Association. It’ll help you breathe better and reduce inflammation of the nasal mucous membranes.
- 2 tbsp. of unfiltered organic apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 1 c. of water
- First of all, you simply need to mix all the ingredients in a glass of warm water
- Drink it twice a day whenever you experience the symptoms of allergic rhinitis
4. Eucalyptus vapor
Breathing steam can help clear the airways and unclog the nose thanks to its numerous respiratory properties. At least according to a study conducted at Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- A pot of hot water
- 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 4 drops of mint essential oil
- First, boil a pot of hot water, then take it off the heat and add the essential oils
- Cover your head with a towel and breathe
5. Turmeric and honey
Turmeric contains one of the most powerful natural antioxidants, no doubt. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is effective at relieving the symptoms associated with allergies. At least that’s what this article published in the Revista Científica UDO Agrícola states
Turmeric and honey remedy
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Firstly, mix the two ingredients
- Eat the first spoonful on an empty stomach and then another at midday
Do you have allergic rhinitis?
As you can see, natural remedies can be of great help in relieving the symptoms of allergic rhinitis thanks to the properties of each ingredient.
However, you must consult a specialist who can diagnose you and prescribe treatment according to your needs. You may also want to consult them before making any changes in your lifestyle.