Fabric softeners are products that are frequently used in the laundry to preserve the softness of your fabrics and give them a pleasant smell each time you wash them. You can find fabric softeners in any store, and depending on the brand they can even be very inexpensive. But did you know that many of the fragrances and other ingredients in the commercial brands can be harmful to your health? While that smell can be very pleasing, the chemicals that produce them can be hazardous, particularly for children.
According to experts, commercial fabric softeners contain chemicals that can cause skin reactions or respiratory disorders like rhinitis. What’s worse is that while nearly all of the ingredients in chemical fabric softeners can cause harm if ingested, they can also cause problems just through contact with the skin.
Just like other chemical-based household cleaning products, chemical fabric softeners can have adverse affects on your health that you might not notice immediately. Their negative impacts could manifest after days or even weeks of use. Researchers say that these products contain phthalates, chemicals that are added to fabric softeners to create that pleasant smell but that can actually cause hormonal disorders when tested on animals. That’s why using commercial fabric softeners doesn’t only harm your body – they can be bad for the environment as well.
That’s why in today’s article we want to tell you about an environmentally friendly, healthy alternative. It’s cheap, very effective, has zero negative effects on your health, and protects the environment.
Eco-friendly alternative to chemical fabric softeners
How can you make a natural and inexpensive fabric softener at home?
Now that you know how harmful these products can be for your health and the environment, why not consider making your own fabric softener at home for a low price that will care for your clothes and leave them as soft as any other option.
This natural fabric softener uses some basic ingredients, and you probably already have most of them in the house. It helps soften your fabrics and removes any unpleasant odors.
- 10 g of baking soda
- 1 cup of hot water (200 ml)
- 4 cups of apple cider vinegar (800 ml)
- 20 drops of essential oil
- A plastic container that can hold at least three quarts of liquid
How do you make it?
- It’s important that you make sure you have a large plastic container, because this mixture will expand up on preparation. Once you have the appropriate container, add the hot water, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. When you do this, you’ll notice a chemical reaction as the ingredients cause a lot of bubbles to be released as carbonation.
- Once the mixture settles a bit, you can store it in one of your old fabric softener bottles and add any essential oil that you prefer, depending on the scent you like.
- When you want to use it, just add it to your washing machine just like you would with a regular commercial softener.
A tip: before using this fabric softener, you need to shake the container as the mixture may have settled. Use four tablespoons of this homemade fabric softener for each load of clothing.
- You’ll find that this product will leave your clothes soft, clean, and free from harmful chemicals. It’s especially recommended for darker colored clothing.
- If you suffer from allergies or have respiratory problems, you’ll love this homemade solution to having softer clothing without the harmful side effects.
- In addition, this natural product will not only leave your clothes feeling and smelling better – it helps clean your washing machine by removing particles and dirt that accumulates in the nooks and crannies.
- If you want to start taking advantage of all these benefits, don’t hesitate to make a batch today and use it whenever you wash your clothes. You’ll love the delicate aroma and soft feel of your clothing afterwards.