Your pores are small holes in the epidermis of your skin. Their role is very important when it comes to regulating body temperature, because they facilitate perspiration.
Everyone has around two million pores distributed throughout their body. While it’s easy to ignore their function, they are necessary for protecting the skin against environmental agents.
Their size can vary according to genetic factors.
However, they often tend to become dilated due to excess sebaceous gland secretions and the loss of elasticity that’s associated with premature aging.
The problem arises when they become clogged by a buildup of dead skin and environmental contaminants. Over time, this becomes an adverse reaction like blackheads and acne.
For this reason, lots of people look for treatments to shrink their pores, cleanse them, and leave their face looking healthier.
The good news is that there are several natural solutions that can help reduce their size while correcting any imperfections.
Today, we want to share the five best options for you to try at home.
1. Tomato juiceNatural tomato juice contains acidic compounds that help regulate the pH of your skin to reduce enlarged or clogged pores.
Its direct application helps control chronic acne and regulates the production of sebum to have a cleaner, smoother face.
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup of water (62 ml)
- Add the ripe tomato to the blender along with the water, and blend until you have a natural juice.
- Dip a brush or a piece of cotton into the juice and apply it to your entire face.
- All this to absorb for 10 minutes and remove any excess with cold water.
- Repeat this at least three times a week.
Read also: What acne can reveal about your health
2. Oatmeal and honey scrub
An exfoliating cream made with oatmeal and honey can help remove impurities from dilated pores, making your face look cleaner and younger.
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- Combine the honey and oatmeal until you have a creamy paste.
- Apply this mask to the entire face, especially where you notice you have enlarged pores.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse.
- Use it two to three times a week.
3. Cucumber and milk maskThe astringent properties of cucumber combined with the lactic acid in milk make this natural treatment one of the best ways to reduce the size of your pores.
Its compounds will slow the dilation and reduce the presence of dead cells and impurities.
- 1/2 of a cucumber
- 1/4 cup of milk (62 ml)
- Add the two ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- Spread it on your skin and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and use it every night.
4. Egg white treatment
Applying egg whites to your face can help remove any blackheads caused by dilated pores.
The compounds in egg whites regulate your skin’s natural pH and promote the balance of your fat-producing glands.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (5 ml)
- Beat the egg white and mix in the teaspoon of lemon juice.
- In the evening, after you remove your makeup, apply this treatment to your entire face.
- Allow it to dry for 30 minutes and then rinse.
- Use this three times a week.
Visit this article: Egg face mask to cleanse and tighten
5. Natural yogurt mask
The lactic acid in plain yogurt is one of the best compounds to clean your pores and eliminate dead skin cells.
It creates a protective barrier against bacteria and also lightens any dark spots on the skin.
- 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt (36 g)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (10 g)
- Combine the tablespoon of sugar with the plain yogurt, and apply this exfoliating cream with gentle circular motions.
- Allow it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse.
- Repeat its application up to three times a week.
Are your enlarged pores still driving you crazy? Try some of these treatments at home and you’ll find you can improve the appearance of your complexion without breaking the bank.